1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

U5 on to mix

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by OneMan, May 8, 2001.

1. OneMan

OneMan Guest

Has anyone tried a couple of Avalon U5's on there 2 mix? If not , what are you using?

OneMan

2. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Well, the summing bus in the board is pretty well suited to the task. What I do put in the insert is an RNC. I don't quite get the point of using a preamp in that spot. If you're having level problems, you ought to be solving them before that point in your signal chain, IMO.

Bear

3. OneMan

OneMan Guest

BGF,
    I am not having any level probs at all. It's just that the U5 has it's own sound character (or so I've read) and for the price of two of them,less than a grand, I could get a lot of use out of them in other applications as well. Ironicly you are using an RNC. I intended to use one of those in the chain as well. How do you like it?
    Thanks for reading...

OneMan

4. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

I don't quite see the preamp-for-character in the mix bus thing, but if it works for you, cool. I'd say if you're getting a multi-use box for the job, get a mic preamp with line preamp functionality for a bit more versatility. But I doubt that you'll be using enough gain from the U5 to really bring out a lot of color, but I haven't used the box. Compressors, limiters and eqs tend to provide more options as "warm" boxes, IMO.

The RNC is wonderful, but I wouldn't consider it among these "warm" boxes, it just is a powerful, flexible compressor that won't wreck your sound.

da Bear

5. JS

JS Guest

Guys - you must be jocking, are you not?
    The U5 is a DI box. Why on earth would anyone put a DI on his mix?

I have one - never used it on the mix. I have recorded many things through it but never mixed through it yet, maybe I should try it one day for the "character"...one side only...

6. OneMan

OneMan Guest

JS,
    I are not jocking and I am not joking either. It's a piece of gear that has audio ins and outs. You can insert it anywhere you want regardless of what it's called. It has tone controls and a very DIstinct sound I am told. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

OneMan