1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

UA 1176LN, Purple MC77, 1968 ME, Empirical EL8X for VO?

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by Yoda117, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Yoda117

Yoda117 Guest

Hey guys,

Yeah I'm kinda new... but been lurking for a little while.

I'm looking at picking up a compressor for my VO chain (UA M-610 or Chandler Germanium -> Onyx FW) and was wondering what a good mid-end (ie, ~$1300 =- $1800) compressor would be for someone who has a pretty good range (I've been cast as everything from a young adult to an older male with all the characters from Bass to Tenor 1 in between).

I've been recommended towards the Drawmer 1968 ME, but I've been hearing a lot of good things about the EL8X and the MC77. I'd like to have the option of going from clean to quite a bit of distortion if required.

Righto then... fire away (and any additional recommendations that I've missed are welcome too :wink: )
  2. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Investigate the Millennia Media Origin.

I'm saving up for it. You and I only need one pre(Apiece), we may as well save-up a bit more and get "THE" mic pre(If this is NOT "the" pre, it's close enough.)...

Of course, we'll both want a nice Brauner mic to go along with it! I"m going for the Valvet. I have often used the Valvet through a MM SS pre - the combo is enough to bring tears of joy to my little eyeballs. The Origin can't help but simply add to the experience.

I have the Origin manual downloaded to my desktop, just to keep me saving! I've got about 30 bucks in change, distributed between various "souvenier" mugs, around the studio - I'm on my way! Selling some old gear, too, including ham stuff. Need a Henry 1KD5 80-10 amp with Peter Dahl xfmr?

3. Yoda117

Yoda117 Guest

Actually, I already have a KHE VM-1. Works nicely, but hasn't quite convinced me to put away the RE-20, RE-27, my Neumanns or Gefells yet. Thusfar, my preamps have served me well, but wanted to get away from the SW-based compression a bit and add a little more color before hitting the A/D

Thanks for the input... another option that has just been put on the radar is the Crane Song Trakker.
  4. jowillie

jowillie Guest

For VO, many pros look for reworked vintage LA-2A, LA-3A and now especially LA-4 s.
    There seems to be a lot of Knock-off 1176 and LA series units available, but I only hear positive response from those using vingtage originals. :?:
  5. Yoda117

Yoda117 Guest

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I liked (and bought) the Trakker after experimenting with it. It had some settings which gave a sound eerily to that of a vintage LA-2A, and a slightly different setting which gave me an LA-3A (to the point where my ears, and that of the engineer working with me couldn't tell the difference).

I'm always looking for a good deal on good vintage gear, but this time I ended up with the Trakker.

Amusing thing is that the sound engineer who helped me out liked the one we tested so much that he bought a few as well :)