1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

UA 6176 vs. Avalon VT-737 sp

Discussion in 'Preamps & Processing' started by Gabriel Sousa, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Hello, i dont know what to buy if the 737 or the 6176 ?

Whos the best, or who has the best pre.amp, the best compressor or the best EQ.
    thanks

2. i'm sure the 6176 has better compression..(1176), but from what i hear its a funny unit.. the avalon is a cleaner unit.. but i'd rater get a great river then a nice compressor.. i usually don't track with eq so its not really needed for me.. the 737 is a nice pre with something like a 414 or a u87..

3. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

What is best, red or blue?
    What is best, Mercedes or BMW?
    What is best, Mac or PC?

You ask which is best, best at what? The 6176 and the 737 are very different and although they both have a mic pre, eq, comp and tubes in them, they each have their strengths and weakness. As for best, neither would be on my list as best. If I and had no other choice than those two, I'd rather have the 6176.

4. whats the others choices ?

thanks

5. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

Choices for what? You need to more specific on your needs and what sound it is your trying achieve. There are dozens of possible choices.

6. My personal vote would be for the 6176, but it all depends on YOUR ears. David

7. its for rock, pop rock, is more to vocals.
    thanks

8. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

Go to a pro audio dealer and borrow both. Then use them for a few days and decide for yourself.

Its like asking for strawberry or vanilla.

9. white swan

white swan Guest

Steve,

It might not be as easy in Portugal as it would be in New Hampshire, Steve. Then again, it might be... I have no real idea! :s:

10. AEW

AEW Guest

I have the Avalon 737 and the UA 6176, they both have their uses.
    The 737 gets used for bass and acoustic guitar and the 6176 gets used for vocals every time.

Nick

11. what mics you have ?

can you send me some vocals recorded on 6176 ? and on 737 ?

thanks a lot

[ October 29, 2003, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Gabriel Sousa ]

12. AEW

AEW Guest

Ok
    Give me a couple of days. I'll send u a section off a track.

Nick

13. thanks, a lot ;)

14. jsegovia

jsegovia Guest

I'd like to hear this too - I hope you post it to the thread or at least make the URL available here.

15. seti

seti Guest

I got the 6176 and I love it!

Would like to try the Avalon (heard good things)

16. seti

seti Guest

I got the 6176 and I love it!

Would like to try the Avalon (heard good things)

17. missilanious

missilanious Guest

look at the 2108, great for drums, bass, and electric guitar, a great "rock" pre.

18. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

The 6176 as a only high end pre would not be my first choice. It has a color that I would not want on all my tracks. If you can afford two maybe you could look at other colors too. That is unless you want another for doing stereo. That pre tends to see duty on mono stuff typicaly. Vocals, and bass mainly. Bass mainly for the comp part of the box. I am digging the 2108 though. We recently put the typical mics up on a Bogner A/Bing them through a Sytek and a 2108. The 2108 was what I prefered every time. It is rock and roll.

19. timstoel

timstoel Guest

Thanks for the tip on the 2108. I have been considering adding it to my arsenal for the very reasons you listed in your post. I love UREI gear.

Tim Stoel

20. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Tim,
    If you love UREI gear, you will love this... UA has just released a stereo version of the 1176, the 2-1176!

2-1176

Product description

"The 2-1176 is the evolution of over 35 years of compressor design. Now the ledgendary 1176LN sound is available for the first time as a true dual mono/stereo unit."

Dual-Mono, Stereo Link
    Channel Matched Components
    Same Vintage Sound
    Great Price/Peformance

Universal Audio Web site