1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

UA LA2A

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by audiokid, Feb 10, 2012.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Jeff, you are killing me, did your LA2A arrive yet, how do you like it?

Sweetwater has them on sale now for 3499.00

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LA2A

2. thatjeffguy

thatjeffguy Active Member

Chris... Yes, the LA2A arrived just a few days ago. I had my first session with it yesterday. It is, in a word, STELLAR! It is exactly what I had hoped on vocals. You can crunch the heck out of your signal and it still sounds good. This is what I had originally hoped my Avalon 737 would bring me when I bought it 5 years ago, but it never lived up to my expectations.
    I'm driving it with my Great River MP-2NV preamp. What are you feeding yours with? Do you use a separate Phantom Power supply?
    I've got a lot of testing to do... want to hear this thing with all of my vocal mics.
    And yes, I noticed that the going price has gone up... got mine for USD $2699.00 at Front End Audio. It was your tip about the impending price increase that prompted me to act when I did, so a huge "THANK YOU" goes out to you for that tip.

Jeff

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

YES! **** YA!
    I am so ecstatic over that box. 30 years I have been wondering how to get that sound. Now we know. smoke

Everything sounds awesome with the MP 2NV! Its a wonderful preamp, clean or vibe.

I recorded an operatic vocal over the weekend using, oh my, you got to get some of these now... SPL Premiums, WOW! I just bought 8 of those. Talk about sweet and big. I'm certain they will excel on everything. U87> LA2A straight into a Premium was glorious. Matched DPA 4011's on piano, stellar. I now know I have to treat my house because its so obvious what sucks. I have stellar gear, poor acoustics. This is next.

I added an 1176LN to the vocal chain, ordered it before the price increase too but it didn't arrive on time for this last session. I'm going to put it in front of the LA2A. Do you have one? She did some high level staccato and the LA2A could have used a faster comp in front for that stuff. As you noticed, being able to clamp down really gives it the vibe eh! But when she hit those fast attacks, I had to compromise. If I would have had the 1176, it would have been the bomb and some!
    I messed around with it yesterday and its another choice comp but nothing like the LA2A. Wow hehe. I'm very pleased to hear your same rave. Not very many times have I bought something that did it for me like this.

Separate Phantom? You mean a dedicated 48V? I just use the phantom provided by the micpre. Is that what you mean?

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I used a RODE Classic 2 and it was no disappointment. That's another mic that doesn't get the praise it should. It has a rich vibe to it and loads of options. I like it on ballsy baritones.

This will improve all vocal mic. Its a must have compressor.

Did you track with it? After hearing it going in, I will always track with it now. I've been afraid to compress vocals going in, but this is such a no brainer.
    I've been trying it on older tracks and it definitely improves the VOX in the mix, but they don't have the glow like this last session. But, I never had the SPL premiums either so I'm using a lot of new things all at once. Difficult to be anything more than just thrilled right now.

(This is turning into a good vocal compressor / LA2A thread so I might move it into its own thread.)

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

6. thatjeffguy

Re: Phantom Power... the LA2A does not have phantom power, and it has relatively little gain. Hence my preceding it with the MP-2NV.

Yes, I tracked with it. Over the years I gotten comfortable compressing on the way in on vocals, and now with this box it is, as you say, a 'no brainer'.

I don't have an 1176 (yet!). Right now I'm quite impressed with how fast the LA2A is compared to my Avalon. Is the 1176 that much quicker?

Interesting about the prices... this is the first time I bought a new piece of gear that instantly became more valuable!

Jeff

7. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

innerTube Atomic Squeezebox. Nuff said.

8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I contacted them, had a few exchanges and a wallet full of cash and passed with no return. Bought the STC-8 and the Nail instead. I've heard its a nice box but the LA-2A is plenty cool for vocals and some. I think the Squeezebox is better suited for the 2-bus.

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Why would you need Phantom for it? Go into the micpre first, then the LA-2A! You are going to flip when you dop that. It has loads of makeup gain that is the bomb.

10. audiokid

audiokid Staff

The 1176 has a fast attack, the LA-2A is slower and rich, hence why it is so perfect as a vocal leveling amp. If you have fast transient peaks, the LA2A won't catch them in time. If you chain the 1176 together, putting it in front so it grabs the fast stuff first, the LA-2A takes whats left and does a glorious thing to the vocals. Its a perfect marriage, the golden combo. The 1176 is great for this and so much more.

If you have another fet comp with a fast response, try that in the mean time. Put it in front.

The 1176 has an edge to it, which you will want eventually. Besides, you are in it this deep now, go for it.

Theres a video on UA, I'll post it for a reference.

11. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Chaining the 1176LN and LA-2A Compressors for Maximum Control

Watch the video here:

They're using plug-ins in this demonstration, everything applies, but we have the real deal and are tracking with it. Copper, tube and voltage is part of the signature sound/magic. Welcome to vocal heaven.

Chaining the 1176LN and LA-2A Compressors for Maximum Control
    Chaining the 1176LN and LA-2A Compressors for Maximum Control - Blog - Universal Audio

-----------------------

Here is some history on the 1176LN

(y)

12. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Ah, thats too bad. "better suited for the 2-bus" is probably true in comparison to an LA-2A which is way too slow for a whole mix but lovely on voices and strummed guitars.....Hammond organ etc....But you were talking about a 'fast compressor' and the Squeezebox is that as well as having no discernable "edge" as you described the 1176. Theres a setting for the 1176 which isnt in the manuals. Try pressing all the buttons at once. Run a signal through it alone. Or latch the 4 and the 12 together. I dont know if the new allow for this but old ones did. Try it and run a guitar through it.

This is the classic compressor sound of the 'majors' for a very long time.

Another 'biggie' not mentioned a lot but is one that is something of itself is the GloryComp. Groovetubes mate to the ViPre. Now theres a vocal chain.

13. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Funny, I generally follow my LA-3 with the 1176 not the other way around. Though on occasion I have done it that way but rarely. And the Great River... isn't that patterned after a Neve?

Welcome to the improved sounding world of tracking this stuff while recording it. That's truly old-school, the way I used to do it and the way I still do. You just have to rely on your expertise not to overdo. You can do do even more later. And end up without any do do.

Do Doobie Brothers do do also?
    Mx. Remy Ann David

14. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Well what took you so long to chime in! I would never have realized this until I got this gear, Remy (gear is important). As soon as I plugged into this, I instantly knew it was right and felt 100% confident to track with it. I will never settle for less now.

Yes, I believe Great River is modeled after Neve so you don't need to leave North America to get that sound.

15. audiokid

audiokid Staff

UAD LA-2A plugin vs Teletronix LA-2A

Here is an A/B between the UAD LA-2A the the UA LA-2A. Tracking with it, is even more of a difference.

16. thatjeffguy

So Chris, what preamp are you putting in front of the LA2A?

Jeff

17. audiokid

audiokid Staff

what order to put a compressor, before or after the mic pre

Most recently SPL Premiums, they are LUSH! However - ALL preamps! I would never do this order: Mic>Comp>Pre. Your impedance is wrong, including the 48v is having to pass through he comp which explains your wondering about phantom and a previous patch bay setup.
    Always, Mic>Pre>Comp>AD>DAW. thumb Change that order and you will for certain be doing cartwheels. Your life is about to change.

This goes for EQs as well. Now there could be some reason and a much more technical explaination for doing it backwards but if you are using the MP 2NV, switch it!

Think about a console and the channel strip. mic> preamp and then the strip. you then insert effects. Your eq and faders are post but the preamp is always "Pre" amp or microphone preamplification.

Please share your first moments with us after you switch things. smoke

18. thatjeffguy

You misunderstood, I always go Mic>Pre>Comp>AD. Doesn't make sense to do it any other way. My chain is Mic>MP-2NV>LA2A>AD, sounds great. The Phantom Power question was wondering if LA2A could be used as a Pre, but I now know it doesn't have that much gain.

I've got a female singer coming in Thursday to record an A Cappella version of the US National Anthem to use as an audition tape to try to get to sing it at one of our stadiums at opening of a ballgame. With the huge dynamic range of that song it will be a great opportunity to really put this setup through its paces!

Jeff

19. audiokid

audiokid Staff

No worries, your wording suggested it was what you were doing. Its not the first time someone has done it that way, including me while rushing around and wondering why something wasn't responding right. duh

You are going to love it for A Cappella. Set it to the hottest passage and you will be golden.

20. lostindundee

lostindundee Active Member

Yes.

One difference I recall is that the Great River's DI employs the input transformer, as opposed to the DI coming in after the input transformer - which is the case with pretty much all the other Neve clones.

Stewart