1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

UAD-1 Upgrade Includes Pultec EQ

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Doublehelix, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Distinguished Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Universal Audio has just released their latest upgrade to their Poweredplug-insthat run on the UAD-1 DSP card, version 2.2. This version includes the long awaited Pultec EQ!!! (Yeah!)

I haven't tried it, I just downloaded it...I'll let you know how it goes (and sounds!).
  2. Doublehelix,
    Right on! Let us know the downlow. Do you have any of the Bomb FActoryplug-insto compare? Cheers, Doc.
  3. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Distinguished Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Hey Guys and Gals:

I promised I'd get back to you on the Pultec EQP-1A from Universal Audio that is now included with the UAD-1 DSP card...been busy, etc., so sorry for the delay...

This thing is so *awesome*!!! Now, I have nothing to compare it to since I have never personally used a real Pultec or any of the emulations, but this thing is like a dream come true for me!!!

I have 2 songs that I recorded with these 2 sisters as part of a larger project, and for some reason these 2 songs (recorded sequentually, btw), sound a bit "tinny" vocally for one of the 2 sisters (we narrowed it down to a mic problem that has since been fixed). I have worked on these songs off and on for a couple of months trying to get her vocal part to sound right,and we have finally decided to bring them back into the studio to re-record the parts. Well, with the Pultec, I was able to go back in and work some serious magic that none of my other available tools could even touch!!! (I use mainly Waves and UA plugs) I am thinking that the parts sound great now, and actually have a pretty cool and unique flavor to them! I am going to let the ladies have a new listen, and we will make a final decision on whether or not we need to re-record! I am thinking *not*!!! :D

I was able to add warmth and depth, not just frequency manipulations. I have tried just about every tool that I could think of to fix these parts, and unfortunatly, they all ended up sounding sterile and flat, even after adding some "tube warmth". The Pultec is true life-saver!

Universal Audio has done some side-by-side comparisons using their vintage emulations vs. other vendors (mostly bomb factory). It is obviously slanted towards their products, but it might open up a conversation thread here...check out:

It compares several of their products, not just the Pultec EQ (the LA-2A, the 1176-LN, and the Pultec EQP-1A). It compares UA's hardware recreations as well as their software emulations...it was an interesting read if nothing else!

4. Sounds like a thumbs-up on the UAplug-ins Thanks Doublehelix. Doc.