UAD software investment

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by audiokid, Jul 19, 2014.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

How much money do you have invested in UAD software?

2. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

3. thatjeffguy

thatjeffguy Active Member

Zilch. I've been tempted a few times, but my needs are so simple that I can't justify the expenditure.
    ~Jeff

bigtree likes this.
  4. Josh Conley

Josh Conley Active Member

software only?
    gonna be difficult to say. i bought most of my plugins with whatever version of the pci card that came with a 400$ voucher, twice. then my first uad card is so old its a mackie card and came with a couple plugins.
    then i only buy them when theyre on sale, or i have a voucher.
    using a uad2solo i got from jrr shop for like 180$ ?
    hardware and software together id say ive spent 3500-4000 in the last 10 years.

5. Josh Conley

and its so easy to do too if you arent a careful shopper ;)
    id say the pci cards were 600/600/400, the rest went to plugins.
    that tally would be much (2500$) higher if the apollo was compatible with my laptop and i didnt just purchase a zen studio instead.

how much would you guys say youve spent on processing plugins in the last 10 years? i know back then the waves gold bundle was several grand...

6. Chris Perra

Chris Perra Active Member

I've had Uad for 13 years .. At 1 time I had 4 Uad 1's.. Now I have a Quad and a Solo..
    probably 5 or 6 grand all totaled.. Hard to say... some plug ins I got on sale..

7. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

Zero !
    I tought about buying a card last year but I got into a preamp purchase frenzy and went to the end of my budget.
    Now, I don't think I will. The statement, 'not like the real thing but ...' made me scared ;)

8. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

I have a quad and a solo and when I was still on the G5 mac I had another solo card in pci. The list is fairly extensive in the Quad. I got lucky and found a Quad card used with several additional plug-ins. I would hazard a guess that theres two or three grand in that one easily and probably another grand in it before I'm done.

Yeah....NOT the real thing but serious tools that dont seem to add any of the 'digitized' zzzz you hear in some plug ins. Very usable tools at a fraction (really) of the cost of "the real things". I never really care about whether these plugs that emulate a standing piece of hardware sounds like the hardware. I'm sure they dont so I don't go into the use of the plugs hoping for some miracle emulation....I only look at them in a tool type of opinion....Does it do what I want to hear on the source? Yes? Done.

I only have UAD, Waves, and McDSP in my queue.

Josh Conley likes this.
  9. Chris Perra

To me this business of they are not exactly like the real thing so don't get them is too condemning.

No 2 pieces of analog gear after being used for awhile are exactly the same either... Some aren't the same brand new.

When my preamps were being built, they are 2 channels per unit.. The builder measured and matched every part as there are differences in parts that have the same value on them.
    Part makers allow for a certain tolerance plus or minus.

I think you need to think.. does this make my stuff sound better?. yes or no.. and that's it. Any differences you hear can be compensated for to a degree.

If you are a purest. You shouldn't really be using digital except as a modern tape deck/editor. Work that way and you'll get a bigger slightly fluffier sound.
    Work digital in the box and you'll get a slightly smaller but cleaner tighter sound. Everything you use analog adds noise etc... plus you have conversions added if using a daw..
    If you use Uad and do analog summing for every track it's pretty damn good. If you do it all in the daw it's still good just the instrument layering stereo spread can be different.

It will depend on what gear,daw and plug ins you use to record.. UAD to me is the most natural sounding of them all..
    I also like PSP. Soundtoys, and Softube.

10. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Although I question most of what you just said, and would enjoy discussing this with you, what does anything you said have to do with the OP?

11. Chris Perra

Ha ha I'm confused where I'm posting.. I saw the post above, he mentioned although they are not exactly like the hardware he likes them...

12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

understandable, :) what do you think you've spent on UAD?

13. Chris Perra

5 or 6 grand over the years.

14. DonnyThompson

I dunno Chris... I start looking at numbers like that and I begin to think about how you could have perhaps ended up with a few of the real models that you are currently using virtual plugs of... a real LA2, an 1176, or maybe even a few of the hand-made and custom built clones...like maybe an IGS or something?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IGS-Audio-DTL-Dual-Triode-LA-2A-Style-Opto-Comp-Limiter-w-Tube-Mic-Preamp-NEW-/111321276990?pt=US_Preamps_Channel_Strips&hash=item19eb43e23e

I think that the main objective approach to using this stuff is as Dave has mentioned, and that is to look at them as you would any other VST or RTAS processing plug. Don't expect a virtual LA2A to sound like a real LA2A.

Beyond that, I can't comment, because I've never purchased or used any UA plugs.

15. Josh Conley

but the question, fairly asked in return, is how much "non users" lol... have spent on plugins in the last decade or so?

i know you guys are laughing up your sleeve at the use of "emulated" plugins when youre staring at racks of the real thing.
    but you have to consider practicality. im only recently starting to record other people, up to now what use would i have had for a real 1176? so i could bus individual tracks out and back in? no, thats nonsense.

in terms of quality, i could give a crap less if this la2a plugin sounds like the real thing. the 90% i do get is enough to blow every free compressor i have ever tried on kvr. and ive tried alot, so the 79$ i spent on that la2a IS worth it. every cent.
    it was especially worth it 10 years ago as processing on a dsp chip when track and plugin count brought your processor to its knees quickly. these are the tools i learned on, these are the tools i know and comfortable with.
    just because i started in an all digital environment 'producing' myself doesn't mean my quest for fidelity isnt as just as yours is :)

especially when 90% of your audience is listenjng to a flipping mp3 thru ear buds...

16. pcrecord

I wouldn't go and re-process all tracks, but processing the masterbus through my 4-710 (which have a flavor of the 1176) definitly did something good to the mix of Donny the other day... I guess if I had a pair of LA2A or something of that quality. I'd track through it and I might pass the whole mix through it if the musical content calls for it. But is every song in every styles needs that magic ?? maybe not

Making the most with what we've got is the modo of all home recordist !! ;)

17. DonnyThompson

My point wasn't to knock those using the plugs... it was more along the lines that if you had spent 5 to 6 large on the plugs - as Chris mentioned that he had - if one were to shop carefully, one could probably have two of either of the real LA2's or 1176's, for pretty close to that figure.

;)

18. pcrecord

I hope Chris had more than 2 plugins for that price !! LOL ;)
    You know if I wasn't eating ordinary food every day, I could go in a 5 stars restaurant every weekend !! :LOL:

19. Josh Conley

thats funny pc, because i was thinking -though outside the established rule set- if i had gotten my hands on those stems, of making a second mix where i bounce each stem through my G9 first. it makes everything sound better, and sometimes cranking the input all the way makes things so much sweeter :)

pcrecord likes this.
  20. Josh Conley

dont tell audiokid ;)