1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Unbalanced connections

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Abale, May 31, 2003.

1. Abale

Abale Guest

;) No,no sex here,it was ment to atract your attention as i need some help guys..... ;)

I'm building my budget to my new forth coming studio.
    My main interest would be working in logic environment and producing electronic music(using synths,softsynths,samplers and plugins).

However,I'm about to buy a decent mic as well(considering the Rode NT1 as a good option) and obviously-A good pre-amp as well....(£100-£300)
    Now,i have some questions regarding to the pre-amp for those of you that can help please...
    1.The 'Platinum' series look good enought and offer variety of pre-amps...what would you recommend? Most of the signal processing(i.e.-dynamics,EQ,Fx etc...)will be handled by plugins on my PC(eventhough it's not the same..)any suggestion guys? any comment would be helpful....
    2.How can i connect the pre-amp to my PC,or better saying,to my soundcard(using audiophile 2496)?
    As far as i understood it's better to avoid unbalanced connectors throughout the signal-chain and the M-audio has only RCA's and S/PDIF connectors... :confused: - The same goes to connecting my monitors(Mackie 624's)..
    How can i obtain balanced connectors within my studio(pre-amp-PC-monitors)?

I would appreciate any of your suggestions guys
    Thanx.
    Kobi.

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Unbalanced connections are fine as long as the cable runs are kept to under ten feet (11 meters) between each piece of gear. So using the unbalanced connections should be fine.
    As far as the pre amp I would recommend you look at the RNP by FMR.. It is a much better pre that the Focusrite. There are a few reviews on high end mic pres here;
    http://www.recording.org/e-mag/
    Kurt

3. Abale

Abale Guest

Ohhh...Thanx a lot kurt,
    exactly what i needed to know.
    You think that using a very basic mixer like Soundcraft Spirit would do the job as a connector b/w my pre-amp,Virus B,a pair of turntables and my Audiophile 2496?
    Thanx.

4. Abale

Abale Guest

Kurt,just enother question for you and everybody else...Following your advice,i had a look on the RNP-well,it sounds very promising but does not fit my small pocket... :( (i.e-low budget..)

However,i read a review conducted by Harvey Gerst,about the modest VTB-1...Would you recommend it as a good starting point? The price is very atractive and it sounds like it really does the job....what would you suggest?

5. Kurt Foster

Kobi,
    I haven't been able to get my hands on a VTB -1 or any Studio Projects mics yet. I keep asking for them but I continue to be passed over. So I can't comment.

A word about affordability.. If purchased wisely, a mic pre can be a lifetime purchase. In the short term, what may appear to be a bargain will actually cost you more in the long run because you use it for a while and become dissatisfied with the performance. You then end up going out and buying something else and often are unable to sell the piece you first purchased for even half of what you paid for it. We call this, "spending your money twice". So while it appears to be more economical to purchase something with a lower price it is better to bite the bullet and save up for a piece of gear that is of better quality. I have yet to hear anyone make a negative comment regarding the RNP or the RNCs from FMR! We get a lot of opinions here and everything I have ever heard regarding the stuff from FMR has been positive. Just something to consider. Good things come to those who wait. Kurt

6. Pez

Pez Active Member

Excellent advice Kurt about spending your money twice. I'm in music retail and I see this happen all the time. Not only do you spend more money to eventually end up in the same place but you also deprived yourself of enjoying and learning how to use the better quality gear right off the bat. In the case of vintage equipment you can also lose the investment advantage you gain by buying it earlier on in your career. A triple whammy!

7. Kurt Foster

John, You have an excellent point there. The good stuff don't get no cheaper. Although I wouldn't say a RNP is a vintage piece, they won't get less expensive as time goes by. Might as well get one now before the price goes up (which it will sometime).. Snooze, you lose.

8. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

.....?

?!?!?!

Which is which?

9. Abale

Abale Guest

10. Kurt Foster

Duhhhh!, drool, slobber. I feel like a drummer now! I grew up in the "States" and I am a "metric moron". The correct answer is 10 feet (whatever that translates to, 4 meters?? ). I thought for a second a meter was 10 inches.., I was wrong. I now remember its 30 inches! Doh!! Errrr,ummmm, drool, Sorry for the confusion.. boy am I embarrassed hee-hee-heee!

11. daif

daif Guest

1 Meter equals 39.3701 Inches

Doh! again Fats. :roll:

Here's one of many calculators on the Net.

http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/EASYlength.html

Regards
    Tom

12. Kurt Foster

Doh!Doh! Thanks Tom :D The only "meter" I know about is in reference to keeping time, which by the way I'm not so great at either. I just don't see why the rest of the world just doesn't get on board with the USA and switch to feet, miles, quarts, gallons and pounds :D (please detect sarcasm).. Kurt

13. falkon2

Lucky I asked! I was going to assume 10 yards/11 meters, which is a whole lot longer :D

Thanks a bunch.

14. Kurt Foster

Yeah, go ahead! Rub it in! Kick me while I'm down.. Go on!!! :D

15. falkon2

Haha hey, you know what? I know a guy who once posted on a forum and made a huge boo boo involving metric measurements... His name was... Wait.. Where am I? What year is this?

16. downflow

downflow Guest

Yes I agree with Kurt, we should all just switch over to the good old, straight-forward, U.S. standard. I've used it all my life and I have to say, it's akin to doing math with Roman numerals.

17. Kurt Foster

OK I'm convinced! Every one in the US switch your speedometer readings to kph from mph! Do it now! Time to get on board with the rest of the world. Falkon2 will pay for our tickets!
    Originally posted by Laska:
    Now I feel like a stupid drummer! Kurt :D

18. Kemble

Kemble Guest

One of my friends is an aerospace engineer at NASA Glenn here. We had fun at his expense for many moons over this one (if you have never read this/heard about it, get ready for a great laugh...at your expense(tax dollars at use!))
    http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~roumani/1020/F02/mars.htm

Read atleast until you get to the 'inches vs metric' paragraph.

Nice. Nerds make errors too, I guess! :D

JZ

19. Kurt Foster

$125 million here, a $125 million there.. pretty soon, we’re talking about some real money!!
    avoirdupois, That is an excellent word! I’ll have to file that one away. How the hell is that pronounced??

Main Entry: 1av·oir·du·pois
    Pronunciation: "a-v&r-d&-'poiz, 'a-v&r-d&-"
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English avoir de pois goods sold by weight, from Old French, literally, goods of weight
    Date: 15th century
    1 : AVOIRDUPOIS WEIGHT
    2 : WEIGHT, HEAVINESS;

Main Entry: avoirdupois weight
    Function: noun
    Date: 1619
    : the series of units of weight based on the pound of 16 ounces and the ounce of 16 drams

So! It is the fault of the French!!! I knew it! :D

DOHP! There are 1.6 kilometers to a mile and 1.1 yards in a meter … DOHP! There are 1.6 kilometers to a mile and 1.1 yards in a meter … DOHP! There are 1.6 kilometers to a mile and 1.1 yards in a meter … How many knots in a kilometer?? (for you nautical types)

20. falkon2

Well, since we're talking about screwing up measurements here, could I pay in local money? Take USD, divide the cost by 4, and there you go. :D