1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Under what circumstances...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Guitarfreak, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

...is it better to use a shockmount over a standard mount?

2. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

3. Guitarfreak

Miking a guitar cab?

4. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Why on earth not?

5. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

I guess because it could interfere with position of the mic. The thing is that a shockmount is always sonically preferable, but is often a PITA logistically. I guess another example is where a singer wants to eat a mic and use the proximity effect. As a short answer, "always" is correct.

6. Guitarfreak

The thing is that a shockmount is always sonically preferable, but is often a PITA logistically.[/quote]

What do you mean a PITA logistically? You mean like as far as placement goes, and getting it to sit right its a PITA?

7. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

What do you mean a PITA logistically? You mean like as far as placement goes, and getting it to sit right its a PITA?[/quote]

Yes and Yes. Depends on the shock mount also and the mic to be shock mounted.

8. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Yes and Yes. Depends on the shock mount also and the mic to be shock mounted.[/quote]
    You mean the shocker and the shockee ?

9. It comes down to convenience IMO.

A 57 on a loud guitar amp probably doesn't need a shockmount.

An LDC on a cello....probably needs it. You can sometimes flick a cable like 10 feet down the line on a sensitive mic and hear it....if you are recording a quiet source, any bits of handling noise are going to much more apparent.

10. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

As Dave said, Yes and Yes. Add to that the fact that they are expensive, bulkier, and more fragile than a mic clip so that I usually take them off and put them in a safe place when I store a stand - while I'll just leave a mic clip on the stand. Overall, there are a ton of little ways that they make a little more work. Still I almost always use them on LDCs or ribbons.

11. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

There's the obvious differences between preferences and practicality.

Still... I've used a 57 cobbled into a shockmount for an NT2 on a really rickety/squeeky floor of an old house I tracked a guitar in... the guitar player moving around actually got the mic/stand bouncing a bit.

12. robcranmer

robcranmer Guest

I agree with the volume/sensitivity issue. The more sensitive the mic...the greater the need for a 'mount. Basically if I'm tracking vocals using any of my condensers...they are shockmounted. If I'm tracking metal guitar parts off a screaming Marshall cab I just go with the regular mic stand mount.

13. BDM

BDM Active Member

shockmounts look more professional.
    i shockmount my coffee cup.

14. Greener

Greener Guest

Pics or it didn't happen. :p

15. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

and you'd better shockmount your camera when taking photos of shockmounted coffee cups