Universal Audio 2108

Discussion in 'Location Recording' started by John Stafford, Jul 30, 2005.

1. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

More preamp questions :)

Has anyone used the 2108? I really don't know what to make of this pre on the basis of everything I've read.

Thanks
    John

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

I've never used it but I read that is supposed to use the amp sections of an 1176 adapted as a mic pre. As such, it would be pretty aggressive and hard sounding. Probably easy to drive into distortion. Just a guess on my part.

3. John Stafford

Hi Kurt
    I had come across the connection with the 1176 right enough, but very little about the way it sounds, so thanks for that. I'd still love to give one a try though -It could be really cool on the organ :twisted:

John

That reminds me, I've always wanted to send the 'cello and bass sections of an orchestra through a Spinal Tap sized Marshall stack. Maybe I should take up embroidery instead :D

4. bap

bap Member

That's cute John!

The pre I'm probably most curious about but can afford the least is a Gordan. I haven't heard much mention of it on the Acoustic Music board but it seems to make many mic pre dreamers - as well as high end engineers - lustful.

Have you checked these out? They were recently described on the slutz forum as beyond transparent. Someone called their sound quality 'holographic'.

5. bap

bap Member

Sorry for being a bit off topic (again)!

6. John Stafford

Thanks Bap
    YES! I've come across these, and am fascinated by them. It's a pity they're so expensive. I've heard them being described as though they were another step in the evolutionary chain. I'd REALLY love to get a chance to play with some!!!

OOOOH! I think I need to take a cold shower :wink:

John