1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Universal Audio 4-710d

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by hueseph, Nov 1, 2010.

1. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

I just got GAS in the worst way. Maybe unduly.

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Ya, very sweet indeed. I want it!
    I think we are going to start seeing converters in the majority of pre's of this quality too. And this comes standard. Oh... so nice.
    And a lot of 8 channel stuff becoming more standard.

Change is coming and sound shaping is getting better. Hybrid daw systems, hybrid preamps, hybrid hybrid hybrid musicians I'm singing.

Cool, thanks for sharing.

3. hueseph

The price is pretty sweet too. About $2000 US. Probably $2300-2500cdn. Saving up the pennies.

4. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

DROOL....
    OMG, my wife will kill me, if I.... aarrrggghhhhhh...

5. hueseph

Well, you know. Forgiveness comes easier than approval.

Of course forgiveness may also come with a week or two in the doghouse......and maybe a slap across the cheek.

6. Jeemy

Jeemy Well-Known Member

I'm so excited to see converters start to be embedded in this kind of box. Absolute dream: lunchbox pres with converter modules.

Imagine a couple of API pres, a couple of API EQs, some Purple and a stereo Apogee and stereo Cranesong 2-ch A/D with some little relay routers. OMFG.

7. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

hueseph, I think your GAS might be justifiable.

Now, where am I going to come up with $4000?

$2000 for UA
    + $2000 for something involving diamonds

(happy wife = happy life)

8. Jeemy

Jeemy Well-Known Member

totally flawed dhawk. $1 of GAS /= $1 of wife pacification.

a $2000 UA box = a $500 weekend break, max. try to spend $100 of that in a local music store on cables, DI boxes and picks while you are out "shopping with her".

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I wonder who is making their built-in AD ? Anyone know? Are these companies setting up their own independent AD shop or buying/partnering with third party AD/DA companies like Lavry, Lynx, Prism ... ? That would make sense to me.

Millennia HV-3R has an optional 8 channel 24/96 AD in it too, that's coming my way next month. I've wondered if that is a Lavry AD in it because of the 24/96 being Lavry's mark. SPL has an AD option for their Gold Mic. What other pre's are installing AD? I sure like where this is going.

10. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

UA has an excellent converter in its portfolio:
    Universal Audio | 2192

Since they also do the UAD plugins I think, it is "homemade"...

-----

If I bought this 4-710 ontop of the other gadgets I am planing to purchase till Christmas ...no present I could affort will keep my wife from biting my throat.
    But, since I am sensible and provident...I will buy it next year....February...lol...
    ;-)

Big K ( Rainer Klaeger )
    Digital Audio Studio

11. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

I hope the ADC is CRYSTAL semiconductor or better!

12. hueseph

Just to clarify, I got curious and contacted Universal Audio. I can't quote them directly but from what I was told, the A/D converter is not proprietary but designed by AKM. Regardless, they seem confident in the quality of the unit and I highly doubt they would use anything that might be considered sub standard.

13. Audiodog

Audiodog Guest

I'd prefer it if the dropped the digital I/O features and lowered the price correspondingly...

14. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

No, to me the digital out is a great feature. I'm like many people who have interfaces with a limited number of analog channels and have not made the jump to buy standalone converters. This would give four excellent preamps and space for four more purely analog preamps. Seems like a great candidate for pairing with a Fireface800 or something similar. Definitely would like to give this a listen.

15. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

I would even add MADI capabilities...

UA is a company on a very high technical standard.
    I expect nothing less than a perfect unit with excellent sound.

16. hueseph

Honestly, the price is already dirt cheap. A single channel 710 is already $700. In this you get four channels and compressors as well as the digital I/O. Quite a bargain really.

17. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I think this is the trend and UA is obviously spot on for PT 9. I have a feeling we are going to start having AD and DA coming out of our ying yang in the next 2 years.

18. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

I thought I'd revive this thread. Has anyone gotten their hands on one of these? $500 per channel with UA compression and AD is almost too good to be true.

19. hueseph

Not yet. I may try renting one sometime soon. It really does seem too good to be true. I hope they're not degrading their products.

20. hueseph

Found this, though it doesn't help much. Watch at 1080p if you can.

I failed french. Maybe my wife will translate for me. Somehow, I don't think she'll be willing to listen to the whole thing.