1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Unknown effect

Discussion in 'Recording' started by fst, Feb 2, 2010.

  1. fst

    fst Guest

    In the song The Tip Of The Iceberg by Owl City, there is an effect around 1:40 when he says "And your lungs crystallize". I have been wondering ever since I heard what effect it is. Does anyone know? It sounds almost as if the sound is traveling forward and backward.
  2. audiokid

    audiokid Staff

    fst, make sure you confirm your membership.

    Interesting you bring this up. I think Owl City has a fresh sound. For those of us that don't have the song, is there a legit link to the clip that we could listen to?

    It sounds like they are using an Emulator X3 in the CD. Not sure on that track you are referring to though. Need to hear it.
  3. dvdhawk

    dvdhawk Well-Known Member

    Somebody asked a "How do you get this Owl City sound?" question a couple months ago with an Owl City MySpace link. I didn't see "Tip of the Iceberg" when I looked today. I might have missed it.

    Owl City Question
  4. fst

    fst Guest

    Here is a youtube link:
    YouTube - 10. The Tip of the Iceberg -Owl City- Ocean Eyes;
  5. dvdhawk

    dvdhawk Well-Known Member

    Thanks for the link.

    I got a chance to listen to the clip over the weekend, it's kinda lo-fi but I hear what you're talking about. The whole song is obviously full of auto-tune or similar effect. But the piece you're referring to at 1:40 does sound to me like a clip layered in backwards. They use that trick a lot to make songs with swear words suitable for broadcast, so I went and checked the lyrics and there's nothing objectionable - so they must have done it strictly for a 'crystalizing' effect to match the words.

    The effect is easy enough to do in ProTools or any similar editor. Just grab a section of the song or individual track, reverse it and either replace the original clip or blend them together on separate tracks. I don't know if every DAW editor has it, or what they might call it, but the function is called "Reverse" in ProTools.

    It's one of the oldest recording tricks in the book.

    Hope that helps.
Similar Threads
  1. Sork
  2. Khaoss
  3. bassberry
  4. K-Ro
  5. sepulchre

Share This Page