1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Upgrade from a Mackie Onyx 1640

Discussion in 'Recording' started by xiwiwix, Oct 26, 2007.

1. xiwiwix

xiwiwix Guest

I have a Mackie Onyx 1640 and I want to upgrade:more channels, something less sterile sounding, I want to record at least at 92/24 with no less than 16 tracking simultaneously, and must have firewire or USB. Price range $3000-$3500 new.

I was looking at two MOTU HD192, would that be a good choice? Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!
  2. xiwiwix

xiwiwix Guest

The Motu doesn't have pre amps, so it's out of the question.

Any ideas? Please help.
  3. xiwiwix

xiwiwix Guest

No one?
  4. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    $3000-$3500 new, includes preamps, 16 channels, Firewire and less sterile than the Mackie Onyx....

Hmmm...IMO, you're up the creek.

The Onyx pres are in a league of their own for anywhere near that price point.

The ONLY thing I could offer as a suggestion, but it would break your budget a little would be:

RME Fireface
    Focusrite ISA 428 with converter board
    This would give you 8 solid preamps (the 4 in the RME are similar in flavor to the Onyx, but the ISA 428 is a little more colorful.

This will give you 8 channels of pre and 8 channels of line input, all discrete and very good sounding. Not to mention a very flexible unit.

If you pick these up used, you should be okay. Then, if you want 8 more channels of pre later, go nuts. Buy an API 500 series frame and rock out.
  5. HansAm

HansAm Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    The only refenrece i got is PreSonus Formely-known-as-FirePOD 8 against my own MOTU 8pre. And i really like the MOTU 8pre.

But hey. Before that i was on a losy USB 2 channel china crap thingie.
  6. thrgadgetman

thrgadgetman Guest

I use a Tascam DM-3200 and love it. It eliminates alot of gear for recording with your computer. It has 32 24/96 channels with the optional firewire card.