1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Upgrade My Studio Equipment

Discussion in 'Recording' started by judenihal, Apr 3, 2010.

1. judenihal

judenihal Guest

Hello guys,

Let me introduce myself first. My name is Nihal and I am new to this website. I currently have my own recording studio at home.

Let me explain what I have. I started in 2003 with basic mixer and I wasn't serious at all with recording good quality stuff. I was just amature back then. I eventually got extra stuff and started to make music on the computer, just for fun, and believe that I could make professional music back then.

Here is what I have in my studio:

The same Mixer I had in 2003, it is a Behringer Eurorack 20 (I forget the model number since I'm not home), but its a 4 mic in mixer, which was about 200 dollars, I think.

I have 2 AKG D 8000 S Microphones which go into the mixer.

From the mixer, the main out goes into my audio recording computer, which has a Delta 1010LT Sound Card.

All audio processing and mixing is done on my main computer system.

Now, I am serious with recording and producing a song, so I want my vocals to sound good and not amature. I basically want and need professional audio equipment for recording vocals and maybe guitar. I can record one at a time, multiple channels are not required, since this isn't a big band, this is just myself.

What equipment do I need?

Should I buy 3,000 dollars worth of equipment? I currently have a budget of 800 dollars and now that I have a small job, I could go higher.

What do you guys think? Thanks for your help.
  2. soapfloats

soapfloats Active Member

Cincinnati, OH
    Home Page:
    The best investment would be to practice w/ what you have and take that money and go to a real studio. You can get a lot out of a song or two for $800+ these days.

Or, spend half that on the studio and get yourself a beginner's setup to practice on.
    $200 2ch interface, and headphones $200, and you can still use the mics you have.

Third scenario would be to skip the studio, and get the full $3,000 worth of gear. I can't comment on this, but I'd imagine you can get a nice 2-channel recording/mixing setup for that amount.

The answer lies in this question:
    What do you want more - have a great recording of song of your own now, or LEARNING to record your own stuff and make it great, in time?
  3. judenihal

judenihal Guest

Hey guys,

Thank you for your replies. I might consider a recording studio, but I would like to ask this question first.

Buy ART Voice Channel Tube Mic Preamp | Microphone Preamps | Channel Strips | Musician's Friend

Buy AKG Perception 420 Condenser Microphone | Condenser Microphones | Musician's Friend

^ Are these good replacements for recording my vocals? What else do I need and what cables and stuff do I need as well? Can I connect the Pre Amp to my mixer for Monitoring as well as connect this to my Delta 1010 LT Recording computer? What wires do I need and what cabling do I need to connect this condencer Mic to the Pre Amp?

What are your thoughts? Should I spend a little more and get a 600 dollar mic such as this?

Buy Neumann TLM 102 Condenser Microphone | Condenser Microphones | Musician's Friend

or this

Buy MXL MXL Genesis Studio Tube Condenser Microphone | Condenser Microphones | Musician's Friend

When I get this stuff, will this replace the need for me to record in a recording studio?
  4. judenihal

judenihal Guest

I found out that studios are 45-50 dollars an hour and I only want to record vocals for 2 songs I wrote. I already bought a prosumer package with an MXL 990 and I'll just practice the recording pattern at home and then go to the real recording studio to record the real thing.