1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

US-122 or Firewire Solo

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by ErikFlipside, Dec 16, 2005.

1. ErikFlipside

ErikFlipside Guest

I'm supposed to figure out what I want for xmas with a $200 budget. So much for surprises. I was interested in getting a small interface to use here at home. Nothing fancy - one or two mic inputs, quality DI, headphone outs, MIDI optional. I've boiled my choices down to the Tascam US-122 or the M-Audio Firewire Solo. There will be times when I'll need to work here at home on sessions created at my studio, so it could be 30+ audio tracks and possibly some MIDI/VSTi tracks. With that in mind, my question is whether or not the USB connection create any problems down the road? Can the US-122 handle high track counts? This question arises from the soundonsound.com website:
    I trust Tascam quality and the US-122 has more features, so I would really like to go that route but that USB connection seems like it will be a definite hinderance.

My computer is a PC, AMD XP 2500+, 1.5GB RAM, two big harddrives, running Nuendo 2 (maybe N3 if I upgrade.)

Thanks!

2. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

Here's a card which sounds great and performs well:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMU1212M

http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

I own one and I can't say enough good things about it, it's a really great card with a ton of features and impressive sound. :cool:

3. GregP

GregP Guest

USB bandwidth is unrelated to your track count. It's only related to the number of physical inputs and outputs. It doesn't handle a large number of hi-resolution ins and outs very well, but both options you've looked at are just stereo.

In your sequencer, all of your tracks get mixed to a stereo signal before going to your sound device, unless you configure it specifically to output on different channels. With the devices you've selected, you'll be doing the default, which is a stereo in/out.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the US-122. I helped a friend purchase one, after some research, and although it does the trick, it's really not that great. There's a lot of cross-talk (the output signal bleeds back into the input, sometimes detectable without additional gain).

If it's in the $200 range, you can also consider the Line6 TonePort UX2. Even if you're not a guitarist, the mic channels sound pretty good for the price. No MIDI.

4. ErikFlipside

ErikFlipside Guest

The TonePort was another option since I probably will be doing mostly guitar/bass work, but I don't need the models. I guess I don't even really need the mic inputs since I have good mic pres at the studio I could bring home....

Calgary - Can you use the 1/4" inputs on the EMU as a guitar/bass DI?