1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

USB interface w/o preamps

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by Atmosphere, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere Guest

I have been using a EMU 0404 USB interface for awhile now but I recently bought a Presonus Studio Channel which has a sweet preamp in it. I no longer really need the EMU because I don't like stacking preamps but I will still need the USB connectivity.

Can someone show me the way to just a simple USB interface I can come out of my Presonus into then go into the computer?

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Without spending significantly more money the EMU is your way into the computer.

3. Atmosphere

Atmosphere Guest

This dang thing sounds good but there is just too much hum/noise with 2 preamps...

4. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Is there not some cheap Edirol that works?
    This doesn't have 1/4" inputs, hmm...

5. GentleG

GentleG Guest

use balanced jack cables from presonus to emu
    set the input gain on the emu to 0

I actually tried several budget interfaces, and the emu has by far the best preamps, very clean / low noise / high gain

6. Atmosphere

Atmosphere Guest

I figured it out.

The gain on the EMU was what was causing the noise. The Studio Channel is super duper quiet compared to the EMU. I had the EMU gain at about 10 o'clock, which is hardly any, and it was too much noise. I just cranked the gain and output on the presonus and lowered the gain on the EMU.

Very little noise now and I just cranked out one sweeeet recording. Thanks for the input though guys :)

7. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Ideally you would want the EMU set at Unity gain or 0dBv. This prevents noise being added by either amplification or from attenuation.

The liftin and loadin should be done with the Presonus as you found out.