1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Using a Pre to beef up a drum machine.

Discussion in 'Drums' started by dabmeister music, May 6, 2004.

1. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Woodbridge, Va
    Home Page:
    I use 2 drum machines and would like to know if running them through a decent pre, would that yield lustful or some sort of sonic advantage? I use a Akai MPC4000 which I think can go either way as far as using a pre because it has some alright pre's itself. On the other hand, my Roland R8 could defenitely go for a pre because it is'nt as hot as the Akai. Any thoughts?
  2. David French

David French Distinguished Member

Jun 19, 2002
    I've heard plenty about people running their keyboards through Neve type pres for fatness, etc. I don't do this kind of thing, so i'll leave it to the experts to elaborate.
  3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    I often use an Alseis drum machine for "scratch" tracks and sometimes I will re trigger a snare or kick sample from an Alesis D4. I often use either the GR MP2NV or my Sebatro vmp 4000 on these box's to fatten up the sound a bit.
  4. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    I do it all the time with keys, synths, drum machines, samplers into colored or tube mic pre's, eq's as well as compressors to get unique and specific tones. Sometimes it sounds better, sometimes it don't...
  5. BladeSG

BladeSG Guest

All depends on the sound you're after really, I often put keyboards and bass through a Marshall JMP-1 (valve pre-amp) for a little colouration. I use this more for bass than I do for guitar these days.

Experiment with everything. I honestly don't believe there are any real DO's and DON'T's when trying to capture a particular sound. :?