1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Using Apogee AD-16x/miniDAC as main interface

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by mikecornett, Jul 6, 2005.

1. mikecornett

mikecornett Guest

Hello,

I'm curious to know if anyone has experience in using the Apogee AD-16x as their main interface (with the firewire expansion card, of course). I see a lot of reference in using it in conjunction with an HD setup to replace the conversion, but never as a standalone unit, which it appears to have the capability of.

I plan on running it with my Soundcraft Ghost board...

input:
    Soundcraft Ghost board -> Apogee AD-16x -> Computer

output:
    Computer -> Apogee miniDAC ->Soundcraft Ghost board -> Event 20/20 monitors

Am I not reading something carefully enough about the unit to where it's not intended for this purpose?

Thanks

2. TornadoTed

TornadoTed Guest

I'm not quite sure what you mean, do you intend to use the miniDAC just for monitoring purposes and summing in the box or are you planning to send your complete mix through the Ghost?

3. mikecornett

mikecornett Guest

I plan to use all the input channels (pre and eq) from the Ghost, then into the AD-16x....then running 2 channels back out to the Ghost for monitoring from the miniDAC.

4. jimbo_baby84

jimbo_baby84 Guest

the ad16x is run as a pro tools front end with an xhd card. for other software, it is run with the firewire card. either way should work fine, and then the only difference in sound will come from your software.