1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

using korg padkontrol with reason 3.0

Discussion in 'Reason' started by moisiss, Oct 6, 2006.

1. moisiss

moisiss Active Member

Hey all,

Last night I bought the Korg padKONTROL to use with reason 3.0. So I got the device installed, opened up a reason test file and set up the device in reason. In addition to the padKONTROL, I have a M-Audio 48e midi keyboard set up for use with reason (this is set up as my master keyboard/device).

So I set the Korg up in reason and locked it to a Redrum module using the Remote Edit Override.... but here's the issue. Reason recognizes the two top KNOBS and the X-Y PAD and I have been able to map them to whatever knobs on the module that I want.... but none of the PADS (used mostly for perc./drums) are responding. Whenever I hit a pad, reason doesn't even acknowlage that any MIDI data is coming in (but does acknowlage MIDI data is being sent if you turn one of the top knobs or x-y pad). I tried reassigning each pad to a different note (coresponding to the notes [C(1)-G#(1)] that control redrum sounds when I use my 48e keyboard) but that didn't work. I tried changing MIDI channels, but that didn't work either. I've tried to manually map the pad to the "play" button on a Redrum sound using the Remote Edit Override... but it doesn't recognize the pad (as stated eariler, it DOES recognize the two top knobs and the x-y pad and will map to them).

When I go to the Device setup (in edit -> preferences -> midi control surfaces) there is a section where you can "find" your midi device (port) by clicking find and then hitting a button or turning a knob on the interface so the software can tell you what port to select. In this set-up menu, when I click "find" and then hit a PAD (one of the pads that I can't get to map to sound) it recognizes that data was sent and tells me what port to use. In addition, I tested the pads in MIDI-OX and it says that data is being sent (and it controls the wavesynth midi built in to windows fine) so I don't think the pads are faulty. I know that people use the padKONTROL with reason.... I mean, the controller came with reason adapted.... so I don't think there should be any compatability issues...

so WTF? Anybody have any advise? I really didn't expect to have this much trouble setting it up... everything I have read say how easy it is to set up... but I can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!