1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Using live performance as studio promotion

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by kmetal, Jul 3, 2013.

1. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Resource Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Home Page:
    hey all just thinking of some new ways to promote the studio when it's done getting prettied up. I was thinking of doing a series of live shows. book 12 bands, and once a month do a live show production, w/ video. thinking maybe sell 30-50 tickets, and try to catch some touring acts, and local bands. we don't have the technology to do like a live web thing, but i was thinking it could be cool as a you tube thing, and get some subscribers to the channel. if the band ends up staying in the sleeping rooms at the studio, we could do a little 5 min behind the scenes thing too.

just braistorming things that actually get people into the facility, give us some work, and generate some buzz. how the $ was split would obviously depend on the act, but i figure if the house kept the ticket sales, and the band got a recording, video, and some food/accommodations it could work for alot of bands. but more than the financial workings, just wondering what your thoughts on hosting some live performances at a studio, as a promotional entity.
  2. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Moderator (Distinguished Member) Resource Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Akron/Cleveland, OH
    Home Page:
    I like it, K. In a venue that intimate, you may want to look at doing something with a "storyteller's" kinda vibe, where the bands/artists can talk a little bit about the songs, or chat with the audience?

Just a suggestion.

Maybe hold a raffle during a break where you give away a few hours of time? We both know that you can't really do all that much in just a few hours in the studio, but if you gave away a few hours, say 2, then it would get the act/artist into the studio so that they could hear how good they sound on real gear with real cats engineering...trust me pal, they'll want to finish what they start. ;)

3. MadMax

MadMax Distinguished Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Sunny & warm NC
    Home Page:

Want to vs. being able to afford to... THAT's where it gets fun!! facepalm
  4. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    We did that at UI Sound Studios. It was a lot of fun, a lot of work and it did raise our visibility.

Here are some samples: