Using MacBook Pro to convert analog to mp3 via GarageBand

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by HeadSouth, May 26, 2006.

1. HeadSouth

HeadSouth Guest

HELP! I'm new to the forums, so hello all and thanks for any advice you may have.

I am so annoyed with myself for not being able to figure this out. I SUCK with stuff like this.

The problem: I have songs recorded onto a cassette tape via an analog 4-track recorder. The 4-track has Line In L&R and Line Out L&R. I want to get these songs onto my MacBook Pro. I talked to a friend of mine (who I can't get in touch with to help me) and he said that this is possible by hooking my 4-track up to my computer with an iPod Monster Cable and recording onto GarageBand. I just went to Radio Shack and got the "iCable." I asked the manager if it would work before I bought it and he said it should. So now I'm sitting here, getting frustrated because I can't figure this mess out. I'm trying to go about this thing methodically and logically, but I just keep getting more frustrated.

I have the L&R inputs of the Monster Cable plugged into the Line Out L&R inputs of the 4-track. I have the other single-tipped end plugged into the "Audio In" jack of my MacBook Pro. I opened GarageBand (which is the latest version, I just updated it about 15 minutes ago) and sat there confused. What now??? I tried the obvious stuff first, like pressing record in GarageBand and play on the 4-track...nothing. I can't figure this crap out!

Again, any advice is appreciated. Thank you!!

2. lantiss

lantiss Guest

Download a demo version of Sound Studio 3, then open the Preferences in the File Menu and choose Line In as INPUT, then play your 4 track and hit record in Sound Studio, that's it. Garage Band is not a software I really use. After Save as MP3 so you can use your song in any MP3 software.