1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Using Royer ribbon mics for everything but vocal

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by audiokid, Jul 7, 2011.

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff Resource Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Prince George, BC
    Home Page:
    I'm personally following Fab Dupont's recording and mixing tricks, specifically hybrid recording and how he does it.
    I just finished watching this video on how he used Royer mics to record some of Will Knox songs. It sounds really good and I hope you enjoy this. I love the sound of this artist. Reminds me of some old Led Zeppelin acoustic work.
    Producer Fab records Will Knox with Royer Microphones

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Moderator Resource Member

Mar 20, 2008
    currently Billings
    As you know, I often use an SF12 as a main pair and R101's in supporting capacity for classical chamber music. It's tough when I record a session with piano because I want the SF12 both on the piano AND out front.

....tie a royer ribbon round the old oak tree...
  3. BobRogers

BobRogers Distinguished Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Blacksburg, VA
    First, I wish I had the budget to make this choice. I love the sound that he's getting there. Ribbons are now my first choice on all string instruments in folk-style music. I haven't gone to all ribbons on a drum kit yet, but I could see it. I like ribbons as overheads. I may try them on high hat and under snare after hearing this.

Next up on my mic purchase list is a Royer SF12. Don't have any Royers yet. I like David's approach to both ribbons - where he does both the classic ribbon sound and the slightly brighter active ribbons - and his Mojave condensers - which are mellower than many other condensers. It's only money.