1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Utter confusion on Converters A/D, D/A, Clocks, aaahh

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by Alanfc, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Alanfc

Alanfc Guest

Hi, I am confused about something here, can't find the answer anywhere:

I'm looking hard at a Lynx soundcard. Easy enough right?

I have been reading posts from many boards about these, and how much people love them. Fine.

Then I start reading about people also have their Lynx cards connected to A/D converters, external clocks, D/A converters. What/why/Oh no.

Is the Lynx not a standalone item capable of all these things? My soundcard does everything, albeit in a mediocre way.

So I guess I need to know, are these 3 other devices in addition to the soundcard being used for very specific reasons and very professional people? Is it to get more Ins & Outs?

Thanks in advance for your patience.

2. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Hey Alanfc, how's it goin? ;)

3. Alanfc

Alanfc Guest

Ok great- thanks David

Right now I have an OK card in the Edirol UA-5. But I'm tired of wondering if I'm cheating myself in the very first step in the chain. Mics, Preamps, etc I'm OK on. I don't need much.

M-Audio is attractive but I'm going for a Home run here (OK maybe a triple) and splurging on the Lynx. Its great now to know the facts on all the other doodads I was worried about.

thanks alot
    -Alan

4. David French

Cool, I understand. I have a Delta 66 from M-Audio, and I absolutely love it. Before you buy though, you should look at this .

- David

5. Alanfc

Alanfc Guest

Wow that's an amazing site
    Thanks for the link

6. David French

No problem. :cool:

7. bgavin

bgavin Guest

I saw my Aardvark card rated highly. Nice to see some reinforcement on my choice of card.

8. David French

Yeah, that's one of the main reasons I bought my Delta 66.