1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Variable MU, Distressor or LA2A for tracking Vox

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by OneMan, Nov 6, 2001.

1. OneMan

OneMan Guest

Which compressor would you prefer for tracking VOCALS to a DAW? If none of the above, what would be your first choice?

OneMan

2. yuppie

yuppie Guest

1176 or LA2A.

3. PlugHead

PlugHead Active Member

1176, or GML 8900 - depending on the application.

Jay
    PlugHead Productions

4. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Purple Audio 1176 if you want to deal with a company that cares about the industry and not just the bottom line. A Distressor will still sound really great and will work on more sources overall than the 1176. Good Luck! :w:

5. Jon Atack

Jon Atack Member

Depending on what's needed, I reach for an 1176LN, an LA2A, an LA3A, or a Tubetech CL1B. They are all different and each is very good at doing what it does. I don't care for the EL8 when tracking vocals.

Jon

6. mixfactory

mixfactory Guest

These days Tubetech CL1B, La2a or Focusrite Blue 230. Depends totally on the singer, mic and song.

7. Punchmo

Punchmo Member

I used to track vox with a Requiste Tube Pre and Vari-Mu. Thought it sounded pretty good. Still do ocassionally. Now I'm using a Cranesong Flamingo and 1176LN, both original and the new. sounds better to me for most applications.

Still researching a great 2-bus stereo compressor for mix down.
    Steve

8. Produceher

Produceher Guest

Definately Distressor. It's the most versatile.

I used to prefer the LA3a but sometimes it's better than others. The distressor works every time.

Never liked the LA2a for vocals. Bass and Kik.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Probably a Crane Song "Trakker"...it has much of the versatility of the EL-8, with better front end head room, and is quite a bit faster and easier to get set up.

Best of luck with your search.

10. OneMan

OneMan Guest

Probably a Crane Song "Trakker"...it has much of the versatility of the EL-8, with better front end
    head room, and is quite a bit faster and easier to get set up.

Hmmmm, I never considered one of these. I'll look into it. Keep in mind it's 98% for vox and I am doing mostly R&B and Gospel with an ISA110 as the pre (if this helps) The versatility is not really important...btw you are a dealer for this too, right???
    Thanks a bunch

OneMan

11. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

The new Manley Slam looks interesting it has both a FET compressor (like the 1176) and an el op compressor (like the LA2a) and a tube mic pre (2 channels). That being said, my favorite is the Purple Audio 1176 on vocals. I also really like a compressor called the Peavey VCL2 on vocals. It is very similar to the Manley el op model or the LA2a and can be had for under 1K. All tube design. The combination of that warm sound and the 1176 to make it stick out works well for me.

12. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Hey Nathan,
    Did you have a falling out with UA? Seems a lot of people are? I agree that Purple is the way to go. Those guys are great.

13. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Originally posted by coldsnow:
    Hey Nathan,
    Did you have a falling out with UA? Seems a lot of people are? I agree that Purple is the way to go. Those guys are great.

Hi Coldsnow,

Yes, we had a falling out. The product was good, but our company cares deeply about integrity, especially when it comes to the relationship we have with our manufacturer and how they do business. Fletcher stated it better than I could, click on the link below and prepare to be enlightened (read it more than once also):

Click here to read what I like to call "Fletcher states the truth"

14. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Mostly UA1176, very occaisionaly with an SSL or DBX 160 patched in after it...

:)

15. MadMoose

MadMoose Active Member

I'll use an 1176, or a Demeter VTCL-2a when I want more color and don't need as much squash. Sometimes I'll follow the Demeter with a 160VU if I need it. I also have an Orban 414A which can be cool at times but it isn't a go-to compressor for vocals.