1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

versatile guitar duet/all-purpose mics?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by mluckett, Dec 23, 2001.

1. mluckett

mluckett Guest

I'm looking for mics for my home recording setup. I want to do 2 things - record acoustic guitar duets with a modestly-priced matched pair, and record casual jams with whomever is in the room - acoustic guitar, mando, drums, amplified guitar or bass, etc. I'm looking at the Studio Projects C1 or C3 for the matched pair, and the AT4033 or 4050 for the room mic. Any opinions about the advantages of the pattern-switchable mics? I'm recording directly into my computer with an Aardvark Direct Pro. All you opinionated audioheads out there, vote! obviously, I'm new to this. Thanks everybody; please indulge yourself, I'll listen!

2. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

I think low price large diaphragm condensors are contraindicated by the application. Especially for distant micing, off-axis response is an issue, and large diaphragms, espescially of the budget breed, can get really squirrely in their off-axis response. I would probably stick to small diaphragm condensors. The MXL-603s's are 1/2" diaphragm condensors with a wide cardioid pattern with good sound and pretty low noise at $80 each. I like the Behringer ECM-8000 electret omni at $36 each, but I'm guessing they're too noisy for your intended use. AudioTechnica has a bunch of useful small diaphragm condensors available, but they do tend to have hyped high frequencies, so if you want accurate sound, try the model before you buy it. Tested and matched Oktava MC-012's from the the Sound Room have been a budget favorite for years, but these mics do have a flavor to them.

If your budget is more generous, I'd check out the MBHO and/or T.H.E. modular mics.

Bear

3. drumsound

drumsound Active Member

I love the 4050 for room mics. I love it for a lot of things. Omni really makes things roomy, which I like. AT Pro37R is a great small condenser. The 4033 is a nice acoustic mic as well. It's top end sheen works well for acoustic guitar. I haven't tried the Studios Projects stuff

4. rivers

rivers Member

It may be out your budget but get the AT4050 and the Octavas mc012 from the sound room,I have all 3 of these mics and for your purposes they would be ideal,ultra flexible and give you a good mic collection to build onto later.For the money(about $1k)its hard to do much better for 3 mics
    Rivers

5. mluckett

mluckett Guest

I have an Oktava MC012 - a small diaphragm condenser - and have used it with good results for close-in recording. For room recording, it's not very spacious sounding though. I have a lot of experimenting with placement to do, I guess. Forgiving all-purpose mics will make things easier. I hear Oktava's large diaphragm mics aren't for everyone...

6. mluckett

mluckett Guest

Bear, I'm not familiar with MBHO, or T.H.E., OR the MXL-603. Looked at a couple online retailers - nada. Where can I go to get an education on them? :confused:

7. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

If your German is good, here's MBHO's web page.
    Here's their only US dealer I know of.
    Here's the THE webpage.
    Lots of MXL dealers around. Search MXL-603s in rec.audio.pro for comments and tips on dealers.

By the way, if you only have cardioid capsules for the Oktava's ( I am assuming they're from Guitar Center), get omni capsules from the Sound Room. That'll do a world of good to improve their flexibility.

Bear

8. atticus

atticus Guest

The Sound Room also carries the THE mics and lists all of the dealers. The site is http://www.oktava.com