1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Vintage Instruments in a studio?

Discussion in 'Vintage Analog Gear' started by rosssr, Oct 18, 2011.

1. rosssr

rosssr Active Member

Hey!,
    What sorts of vintage instruments and recording gear do most artists expect a studio to have for them to use?
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

The ones that he/she owns.

3. rosssr

rosssr Active Member

Is it safe to say that a Hammond A100 or B3, Fender Rhodes and some Vintage Fender Reverb amps would be most desired in a studio by these people?

4. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Sorry. Who are "these people?" What is your market? Is this some "let's start a studio" (literal) pipe dream. Or are you trying to sell services to specific people. Most people have no idea how to turn a Hammond organ on. Don't know how to work the "on" switch. "Those people" don't "expect" a Hammond. No one "expects" a vintage tube amp in a studio any more than the expect the Spanish inquisition. Most gear in working studios is owned out of self defense. To protect yourself from stuff that goes hummm, snap, crackle, and pop after being out the on the road. Yes, good gear can be a selling point. But I'll be shocked if someone pops in to say that, "you can't call yourself a real studio unless you have a pre-CBS tele, strat, p-bass, Bassman, Deluxe, and of course a Harvard."

I'm sorry, but the phrase "Is it safe?" brings back memories of a time in a drive in movie theater when a certain young lady was desperately looking for things to do other than watch the movie.

5. rosssr

rosssr Active Member

That is true, you bring up great points Bob... I was just curious since many small studios that I have been looking at recording with have a few of these vintage instruments here or there and I was seeing if there was some unspoken standard or expectation for this stuff among other artists.