1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

vintage stereo reciever ------------> preamp possible?

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by Urungus, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Urungus

Urungus Guest

grandfather recently died and i ended up with some old school top of the line home audio gear.

really stoked about a sweet sounding pair of b&w speakers, a 50lb. yamaha turntable and mostly about a "mac 1900" stereo receiver. haven't had much chance to look into the specs on the 1900 but it's solid state with tubes...

anyway, i'm wondering if i can use this as a preamp of sorts? i'm pretty ignorant about signal levels and am afraid to blow it or my mics but just plugging stuff in and seeing what happens.

can anyone give me some direction on doing this?

thanks in advance.

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Not really. The microphones don't produce a strong enough signal and you have nowhere to plug them in. This was a great unit in its day but for preamp purposes it isn't any different than buying something from Bestbuy. The fact it has tubes is irrelevant.
    FYI
    http://mcc.berners.ch/receivers/MAC1900.pdf

3. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

Gheez I feel old reading this....
    It's an AM/FM Stereo receiver....that's what it is and that's what it does (did)!!!
    Hookup the turntable and speakers and play some vinyl on it or listen to the radio with it and enjoy it for what it is (was)!
    It's not a PA system or a recording device....it's just a fancy iPod from the 70's...and a very nice one in it's day and time!
    McIntosh....the "Mac" long before there was Apple!
    hell...plug you iPod into one of the line in's on the back if you like and enjoy the sound!....or maybe enjoy some of your grandfather''s real music!!....he did!...LOL

4. Kapt.Krunch

Kapt.Krunch Well-Known Member

"...but it's solid state with tubes..."

I believe it has no tubes? Anyway, just use it for playback. You don't wanna hack an old MacIntosh for something else, and they were well made and sounded pretty good.

Kapt.Krunch

5. Urungus

Urungus Guest

awesome, thanks for the great and quick replies!!

6. cathode_ray

cathode_ray Active Member

Never heard a MCINTOSH huh? Best Buy never sold anything of this quaility...

7. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

I've heard them. My point remains. They aren't a mic preamplfier JUST like all the crap sold at Best Buy. Thanks though.