1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Vintech Audio X73i + Matching Comp?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by TROT, Mar 10, 2008.

1. TROT

TROT Guest

First post for me at Recording.Org. I recently puchased a Vintech X73i and I'd like to get some opinions/recommendations on a good compressor to match this unit.

I'm looking for something primarily for vocals + guits/bass as a secondary criteria.

I've researched the Sebatron Nitrous, Daking FET Comp2 and the Distressor EL8. This is the price range I'd like to stay within. Of course, if there's something a couple hundreds up or down, I'd still consider it.

I'm runnning a Pro Tools LE 7.4 setup. I already have 2 Summit Audio units, the 2BA-221 and the TLA-50 plus an RME ADI-2 AD/DA converter.

Any opinions on the units I've mentioned or your own input on other units would be greatly appreciated.

PS- I work with a female vocalist (if it makes any difference). Music style is pop-rock (mainly).

Thanks again! :D
  2. TROT

TROT Guest

Any user with experience on the Daking FET Comp2, Purple Audio Action or Buzz Audio Essence compressors?

Practical feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  3. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff Resource Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Prince George, BC
    Home Page:
    Welcome to RO, maybe be more specific. All products you wonder about are excellent.
  4. TROT

TROT Guest

Thanks for responding.

I've decided to go for the Purple Action.
  5. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    inspired from the MC77 which in turn springs from the 1176 side of the fence

Andrew does nice work

what else are you going to put in the 500 rack ?
  6. memegene

memegene Guest

how do you like the Vintech?

does anyone know of a reference CD that compares mic preamps?
  7. TROT

TROT Guest

I'd like to prompt our readers for opinions regarding this setup, and possible future upgrades.

I run PT LE 7.4.

Current Setup

Summit 2BA-221
    Summit TLA-50
    Vintech X73i
    Aphex Aural Exciter
    RME ADI-2
    Mackie HM-54 phones amp

My next purchase is the Purple Action Comp, racked in a 2 slot HR500 from A-Designs.

Based on this setup, what complimentary 500 series module would you add in the second slot of the HR-500? I'd prefer opinions on something else besides preamps, if possible, as for right now, my selection is good for my needs.

Thanks to all!
  8. TROT

TROT Guest

Re: Vintech

The X73i sounds very good on electric guitars and bass, very aggresive, up front sound. I like the EQ also. You can round up your sound as you see fit or you can bypass it all together.

Haven't tried it with vocals (yet) but I can't wait.
  9. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    since you don't want another pre-amp ( I think you should )

then some EQ or another comp of different style
    a few companies are doing the 500 rack style
    so there are choices

I think a couple of pre-amps is worthwhile if only to keep the rack as a possible stand alone

you take just the rack to a location and you have a signal chain

perhaps the headphone amp from Purple
  10. TROT

TROT Guest

I'm looking at the Purple ODD EQ and perhaps another Pre. Maybe the 512C from API...don't know yet...too man choices out there.

I gotta make my decisions based on what's needed and not based on what's wanted...LOL.
  11. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Distinguished Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Scotland, UK
    OK this has become a spam chain.

This guy and vertinel and someone else I'm sure, have posted nothing but that same message on about a dozen threads.

Their sig all links to the same site btw.
  12. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Cocoa, FL
    We're workin' on it.

Have you seen more bots than these two? I can't find any others.
  13. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Distinguished Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Scotland, UK
    I think there was a 3rd. Maybe it was one of these two, I can't remember the name at all. I just know it was the same.

"We're workin' on it."
    I'm thinking of putting beads on a string. Unfortunately spammers keep undoing my knot at the end...