1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

vipre hookup question

Discussion in 'Recording' started by stevesingh, Jan 11, 2006.

1. stevesingh

stevesingh Guest

hey folks. I want to
    1. increase the gain in my vipre without clipping in protools.
    2. I also want a way to turn my monitors down while recording with my headphones without having to reach around and turn my monitors off.

Obviously I need a small mixer but my question is this: I have a Rode K2, a GT Vipre, and genelec monitors - decent gear. Is a small little cheap mixer something that is going to alter my chain if used only as an input/ouput control? I would never use the eq's or pre's in the mixer - just input and output faders. I really don't want spend a lot of money on this. Please advise!
  2. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    A line level pad between Vipre and the tools interface

one of Kev's DAW Monitoring Volume Switcher thingos
    or equivalent
  3. stevesingh

stevesingh Guest

thanks for your reply Kev. What's a line level pad? Can you give me an example? Thanks
  4. Pre Amp

Pre Amp Guest

Its a switch installed in series to drop the "line level" down to a lower level. So you will not clip. (or be to loud)
  5. stevesingh

stevesingh Guest

I did some searching and I guess I need a line level attenuator to control the level between my micpre and my m-box. And another one to control the level of my monitors. What a pain!
  6. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Distinguished Member

Feb 9, 2005
    South Florida
    Home Page:
    Presonus Central Station....at least that's what I want, for the same thing.
  7. stevesingh

stevesingh Guest

Thanks for all your responses. A guy at the store I deal with is building me a couple of boxes. A simple mute to cut the signal from my Mbox to my monitors and another box with 0, -20, and -40 switches to attenuate the output of my preamp. thanks again.
    I LOVE my Vipre, I gotta say. I had the Millennia TD-1 for a while but it's just a little too bright. just a hair. Gorgeous but not versatile enough to be my only good mic pre. The vipre is incredibly versatile. Sounds like a lot of different boxes.
  8. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    examples for the volume control stuff
    all still very much a work in progress
    and should have a BurrBrown PGA option soon-ish

heaps of examples for Line pads in threads right here at RO
    but I'm working on an Interfacing page right now
    NO where near finished yet
    but keep an eye on this one