1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Virtual Choir

Discussion in 'Composing / Producing / Arranging' started by Michael Fossenkemper, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

2. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

here's the full video

YouTube - Eric Whitacre - Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir 2.0, 'Sleep'

3. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

So now when someone says, "what the heck do you need such high track counts for?" there is a really good answer.

4. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

From a mixing point of view a bunch of questions come to mind. I'll ask before I search.

1. What kind of processing are they doing to deal with all of the compression and the general quality issues of the incoming tracks from YouTube?
    2. Are they using noise reduction software on each track? 2000 computer fans cry out to be heard!
    3. Any pitch correction?
    4. What reverb?

I think it's a great idea. I'm sure he's developing thousands of hardcore fans doing this. I think what they are doing is artistically serious at the level of a good local orchestra/theater/church choir. All we need is a couple of thousand ideas this good and classical music can be saved.

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Wow, like ET. A wonderful example of how we are all drawn to harmony and more. Very moving for me and very inspiring. Thanks for sharing this Michael.

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

7. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

@audiokid

"performed into the latency..."

That was a brilliant idea. Using the latency as an artistic tool, instead of trying to correct it.

It was a kind of cacophony, but a beautiful one, intentionally planned and used brilliantly.

My only objection to this video is the use of the word "virtual" in this context. I don't really think of this performance as virtual, at least not in the same definition as I normally would consider it to be.

When I think virtual, I think artificial simulation; like VSTi's, for example... sampled cellos, piano, guitars, drums.... and this sure wasn't that.

If I have a face-time or Skype conversation with someone, that doesn't mean I'm not talking to a real person.

The medium used to deliver the performances ( Skype video) may have been electronic, ( but so are cell phones and video chat) and the Skype singers may not have actually been there on location, but those were not artificial voice samples being triggered by midi.

Those were real people singing, following the real-time direction of the conductor; and to me, there's nothing "virtual" about that at all. ;)

8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Absolutely agree. Perhaps because he isn't really familiar with the term in how we use it. This is more a collaboration.