1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Vocal mic for $1k

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by raregroove, Dec 8, 2002.

1. raregroove

raregroove Guest

Hi guys any consensus for a lead vocal mic for around $1k - $1.2? I'm waiting on Stephen's mic but need to get something in the meantime.

Been using AT4060 (too dark and boxy for me), TLM 103 (too silibant, sounded compressed next to U87)

I love the great hi end mics I've been able to use on sessions (sm269, U67, C12, C800) but that's out of the question on this beer budget.

Style of music is mostly pop, Gospel, jazz R & B .
    Most of the singers I work with are really exceptional so I hope to find something responsive and sensitive for my budget, a long shot I know.

any input would be appreciated.

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Raregroove,
    A couple of thoughts... AKG 414, 500 to 700 bucks...Look for a used AKG C12a same capsuels as a C12 different body and electronics ....looks sort of like a 414 If your lucky $1500. I have seen U87's go for 800 bucks before, look around. Last but not least, my favorite mic in the budget catagory, [everyone join in!!! (they've all heard it before! :D )] ATM 4033!!!. .... Fats

3. lorenzo gerace

lorenzo gerace Active Member

I agree with Fats on the 4033, I'm a big Audio Technica fan, really killer mics for not lotsa money; my own suggestion is check out the Rode NTK, as it's a really good sounding large diaphragm tube mic for under a grand, almost incredible until you try it, or if you don't want a tube mic try the NT 1000 also from Rode.

Hope this helps.

4. Kurt Foster

The 4033 is out of production I think but one of the things I like so much about them is they are fairly consistent from mic to mic...with the Rode stuff, the capsules are from China and they can vary widely from mic to mic...it's possible to match up a pair but your going to go through a bunch to get two that match up. Audio Technica manufactures their own capsules in house and the consistency is better. Another thing about the Chinese capsules is they are sold to a variety of manufactures. ATM only makes capsules for themselves although they are making a mic for someone else but I can't remember who it was...."senior moments".... Fats

5. lorenzo gerace

lorenzo gerace Active Member

For more info and technical reviews on the rode check this out: Prorec.com .

The capsule may be made in china but they sure look (and sound)good...

Cheers

6. jajjguy

jajjguy Guest

doesn't soundelux have something in that range? i've heard great raves about their stuff. also try BLUE's stuff, in particular the Blueberry. it has a very nice smooth shimmery high end, really something to behold. the trade-off: not much low end, which could maybe be helpful for vocals... or maybe not.

7. Kurt Foster

jajjguy,
    Do you own any of Blues products? I am curious as to what the build quality is? I bought a shock mount from Blue a few years ago for a C24 and it was the worst piece of sh*t I have ever seen. It practically crumbled in my hands when I took it out of the box. I contacted the company by phone and spoke with Skipper about it and he told me there was nothing he wanted to do for me...Needless to say I was very unhappy. After seeing a post here at RO regarding this same subject I received an email from him (5 years hence) offering to make it right! Too late, I sold the mic with the shock mount as it was and took the loss ($300+). Basically I threw in the mount for nothing seeing it was broken. Fats

8. Gary Gidak

Gary Gidak Member

Personally, I think the Shure KSM32 is an extremely underrated microphone. I never hear anyone talking about them, but they're great mics. And you can pick one up for under $500. Anybody else using one of these? I love mine.

9. jajjguy

jajjguy Guest

That's a shame. I don't own anything by them, just tried some stuff out. Can't speak to build quality. Others have spoken well of them, though.

10. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

I have 2 KSM32's and a KSM44 (in addition to TLM103, U87 etc).

I love the KSM32 especially on female vocals and guitar cabinets where you want a little extra 2k,

The KSM44 does equal work to the U87. It does a great job warming up nasily singers and is by far the quietist mic I have (quieter than the TLM103), I just finished tracking a 13 song CD with the guy I bought the U87 from and he selected the KSM44 over the U87 for all but one song for his vocals after we recorded the mic checks.

11. Kurt Foster

I have noticed these new Shure LD condensers being used a lot on WSM / Grand Ol' Opry for the bluegrass acts, Allison Krause, on Jerry Douglas' dobro and they have sounded very good from what I hear (but it is the teevee). It's hard to go wrong with most anything Shure makss. I have an old broadcast Shure "birdcage" from '49 and it still functions. The rubber and the silk fabric on the windscreen is rotted but it still passes a signal. Try that with an Audex mic in 60 years! I don't use it, it is more a collector thing, but I do keep toying with the idea of sending it to Evenston to be restored ........ Fats

12. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

Man, you can not be wrong with the At4050. It is even better than the 4033 which is a little sibilant and that provides you only one mic pattern. The At4050 is a monster, I myself use 3 on my daily job. It does cardioid, omni and figure of 8.

:p

13. sapplegate

sapplegate Active Member

That's strange about your 4060. We use ours probably 75% of the time for lead vocals, unless the singer just has a particular nuance (aka problem) to their tone requiring a different treatment. To me the 4060 has a nice crisp quality that requires very little tweaking, and sounds like a preprocessed vocal chain all in one mic. But, to each his own.

I have had good success with the 4047 for rock vocals. It has a nice presence peak and a gently rolled off high end for vocals that cut without screeching.

The Blue Mouse is good for making a vocal sound big and very up-front. It can have too much zing for some singers though. Whereas the 103 has a hyped high end, the Mouse is hyped in the upper mids and highs, really pushing the vocal forward.

The 4050 is a great mic, too, but for me a little boring. It is fairly neutral sounding, a little fluffy on the bottom if you get too close.

As you can tell, I'm kind of stuck on AT-40 series mics. I'd like to be able to give my opinion on 251's or U47's or C12's, but my locker doesn't reach quite that high......yet

14. Midlandmorgan

Midlandmorgan Active Member

Just for grins...don't forget the AT 3035...really is the right mic for many of our applications....I am also somewhat fond of the ADK A51 series II...recently finished a country project using these on vocals...we actually redid the vocals originally cut on the recently sold AT4060, as the lowball mics just sounded better for the application.

But that's just my opinion.

15. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Guest

The mic to check out is the Soundeluxe U195. This mic sounds similar to a Neuman U47fet. It has a smooth top end and there is a fat switch if you want to thicken up a vocal or instrument. Also sounds great in front of almost everything else. I've used this mic to record almost everything on an album.In the $1k price range you can't do any better than the U195. Mercenary Audio sells them I believe.
    Steve

16. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

Get on board and in line for a Stephen Paul Mic.

Nuff said.

17. giles117

giles117 Guest

For @1300.00 I heard and purchased a mic that makes my artists vocal sound very "appealing" to listen two.

Accentuated highs for clarity, Rich bottom. gave great body and presence for her, and the mid's were clear and defined.

The BLUE Dragonfly Deluxe.

Outperformed quite a few mics (for her voice) in a 16 mic test I performed.

Avalon 737 Mic Pre was the front end.

See yah round......

18. raregroove

raregroove Guest

Bill,

I've been in line! Looking forward to Stephen's mic but don't know when the drop date is.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I may try out at AT4040 to tide me over or the Soundelux 195. My TLM 103 sounds too boxy and sibiliant for me, it's driving me crazy. Got good pres too, the Buzz MA2 and TubeTech MP1A.

raregroove

19. daif

daif Guest

Dear Mr Cedar Flat Fats,
    Could you tell me where you found out that Rode mics' capsules are made in China.
    I await your generous reply,
    Your humble supplicant,
    Tom :roll:

20. HiString

HiString Guest

Laska,

I can answer that.

RODE capsules are now and always have been sourced from China. Specifically, 797 Audio who also manufacture for Studio Projects.

Bodies are machined somewhere out around Mudgee I believe.

PCB's are assembled locally.

RODE have always been reluctant to overly advertise the origins of their components.......or for that matter their mics. The NT1 has always been rumoured to have been totally manufactured o/seas. Considering the similarities between the NT2 and a certain Behr####er LD mic, I have wondered about the local content in the NT2 as well.

RODE are currently claiming to be bringing ALL manufacturing to Australia in the near future......BUT, what I haven't seen them explain, is how they are going to manufacture in Aust., and stay competitive price-wise.

RODE's mics may be very good, but the company almost turned their form of deception into an artform.

BTW, most of this info came from phone conversations with RODE employees.

:cool: