1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Vocal Processing Software

Discussion in 'Composing / Producing / Arranging' started by audiokid, Mar 28, 2015.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

2. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

It's an impressive collection of tools but nothing you can't find seperatly.
    I tried it when it got out and found it to be handy. The only part that was very appealling to me was the harmonies but I found them not to be up to the voicelive 2 or Melodyne. I figured that the quality is good enough for live but in studio, it's not beating real voices..

So I guess, someone doing voice over or exclusively vocal recording would enjoy Nectar as a main or only plugin to use. But those of us doing bands and/or ensembles may be better serve with independant tools we can load seperatly.

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Listening to this video do you think the end result sounds good enough for a commercial release? It sure does to me.
    I have Melodyne but I've never been influenced to believe it could do what I hear here, have you? voicelive 2, I'll have to look for this, thanks for chiming in.

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

5. pcrecord

Yes, the end result in the video sounds convincing enough. But I do believe, it's been produce with an optimal original track and it's not what we have to work with everyday and results may vary for that reason...

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I love the hands on with this and her voice is amazing. But it sounds like a harmonizer only because I hear the processor/ ADDA I'm guessing that has that zzz upper freq. Thats what I've never liked about hardware harmonizers. I don't hear that with the Izotope product. Maybe because its ibo, part of the mix, mixed into the session. The Voicelive sounds processed and slightly out of place.

Do you hear that?

7. pcrecord

I used a voicelive 2 for a while live. And I think the voicelive 2-3 surpass most software available now.. I hope software producers will get around the CPU usage boundaries and give us more convincing harmony software in the next years.. ;)

8. pcrecord

I do hear it. You should know that the voice live have an auto EQ that could sound a bit metalic if pushed to high.. The defects may come from there too. (just guessing)

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

This would be exactly why we would trust it. imho, if it sounds right on YouTube, that means it would sound right mixed and/or on the radio, itunes etc. If it didn't, that would be user related, not the product. The video is the proof of the end product.

What do you think of that POV?

pcrecord likes this.
  10. pcrecord

I don't believe everything I hear on youtube :LOL: !! But hey, you are giving me some motivation to try it again..

audiokid likes this.
  11. pcrecord

Altought, you should admit that if you listen closely. I kind of get that it's not 4 real vocal tracks...

12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I agree, but in this case, coming from Izotope, I definitely believe if they can do it, so can I. This video is very convicing in the respect that i know what to expect, which is a sound of Pop/commercial vocals.

13. audiokid

audiokid Staff

indeed! But its not full of the metallic artifacts in hardware based harmonizers. Personally, I like effects that sound good which don't necessarily have to be trying to fool me. The Voicelive as an example, it sounds like an "digital" emulation beside an organic comparison, in your face, alien like. I think the only way to use harmonizers are inside the mix where you can smear it up and spread the effect back using reverb, delay etc. thus, insure, that your vocal track is working together with the rest of your mix first, then add Nectar into the bus which may or may not be an exact sonic duplication .

Thanks for chiming in on this and discussing these effects. I've never used one to this day, but I'm beginning to rethink them too.

14. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

@audiokid @pcrecord

I think it's a great tool. I've heard it used live, and I've worked with a few clients who have them in their studios. While it doesn't sound exactly like real voices to me, that's not always an issue for me.

In this case, I like what it's doing, and in this particular context, maybe even more so than real harmonies. It's got a certain kind of "perfection" to it, where there isn't any of the "drift" - or other organic nuances - that you'd get when using real backing vocalists, who would all have different timbres and nuances to their voices. Sometimes you want that human, organic element, but other times, maybe you don't.

In a song like this, which has a kind of haunting and ethereal vibe to it, it works very nicely. I wouldn't reach for it on something more gritty and organic - like a Bob Dylan, Tom Waites or Phil Ochs track, but for something like this, it works wonderfully.

That's the thing about a lot of these tools that have come out... it's not necessarily always a "realism" that I want, it's not that they are an exact replica that makes them sound good and work me - it's because they aren't.

A processor like this sounds great for the context that it's being used in with this performance, and whether or not it sounds like two other real vocalists singing harmony with her isn't really the point, because what it is doing works very well, and sounds great.

I know this may sound confusing to some, it's not easy to explain... I look at a processor such as this, the same way I look at other processors meant to "emulate" certain sounds or tasks... in many cases, the emulation works better in certain scenarios, regardless of whether or not it sounds exact to what it's meant to emulate... The deciding factor shouldn't always be 'realism".

It should be whether or not it sounds good - if it works well within the context of its use. In this scenario, it's a great processor because it really compliments the song.

Follow?

15. pcrecord

I'm sure you do !

Again, I'm sure you an I could sit down and adjust it so those artifacts are barely or not present in the end results.
    With the voicelive videos, TC-Helicon always added too much high end for me. I'm guessing they want to impress the newbie who often think clearer = quality.
    Also, If you go back to both video, the mic choice and preamps are very different. I'm sure the voicelive3 video is a stage mic or their own mic plugged directly in the unit and that's it. But the Nectar video is surely done with a high end mic/pre. I'm guessing you could be surprise to send the performance of the girl in the nectar video back in the voicelive of post processing (without using the internal preamp)
    I think TC is not faking it with full studio production and one thing they should work on is their own mic. I took time to listen to many youtube video and found that all the video with their mics were too bright and metalic sounding...

I'm not a TC-Helicon rep and don't want to be it's advocate but for being a former owner, I know it's very capable.

One that is not so bad :