1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Vocal Tracking Levels.

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by asknone9, Oct 18, 2009.

1. asknone9

asknone9 Guest

I am wondering about the RMS and peaks levels I should be hitting when recording vocals. I've seemed to gather from different sources that I should be anywhere around -24 to -18 RMS with peaks no more than -10. I would just like to hear other people confirm or reject this idea. Once the track has been recorded into Logic, I can make any other level changes ITB. I am recording through a Blue Baby Bottle/AT4040, Blue Robbie, and Aphex 661. The sound that I get from this combination is beautiful so I would like most of the level to come from this chain rather than a plugin compressor. How loud is loud enough to get a sufficient level that avoids noise, and enough gain that I'm only having to do light compression if any ITB.

2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

I pretty much try to stay within the -12 to -6 dB range. As I've posted recently, I'm not sure why I do this, other than the fact that zero used to equate to -12dB in a DAT machine, and I started in the biz just a few years before digital took over, so...

Maybe it's a comfort thing? Maybe I just like to think that I've pushed the meters enough if I've peaked at -6 and can normalize and brickwall ITB if I want without too much hassle. I dunno, just makes sense in my mushy-brain...

Maybe I just made it all up as I went along?

3. asknone9

asknone9 Guest

Haha. That's an interesting explanation, bent. I imagine that this, like many other things in recording comes down to personal taste/preference/idiosyncrasies. I've become comfortable somewhere between -15 and -9 peak, basically because of where I've had my preamp and compressor set for the majority of time, but I wanted to hear what people like you thought just so I know that in the long wrong I'm really not running into some ridiculous error/misinformation in recording.

4. pmolsonmus

pmolsonmus Well-Known Member

-6db at the highest, usually somewhere between -8 to -10db. Explanation is about the same.

Phil