1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

vocals mics

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by mixfactory, Nov 14, 2001.

1. mixfactory

mixfactory Guest

Just wondering what you guys are using. I just realized today I've been using the same two for the last 9 years(Neve 1073 or Api 312). Once in a while I tried different things(Manley,Fearn,Avalon,Focusrite), but its funny I always come back to these two. I guess I was wondering if you had the same experience. I'm thinking of trying something new again and was wondering what are some pres people are using on vocals.

2. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

I have been liking the Millennia Media STT-1 lately. API is always a staple.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guests

TLA EQ1 :)

4. miketholen

miketholen Guest

Telefunken V76s
    Helios
    :w:

5. Scott Gould

Scott Gould Active Member

Crane Song Spider & Peavey VMP-2 (don't knock it 'til you try it - all tube signal path from Audio Media Research). The Spider has taken the place of the Flamingo - it doesn't have the "iron" switch, but it does have the tape saturation like the HEDD.

Scott

6. drumsound

drumsound Active Member

Manlev VoxBox is doing it for me on the voice. It's a good rock sound. I haven't tried the Drawmer 1969 for voice yet. It's nice on acoustic bass guitar.

7. miketholen

miketholen Guest

haven't heard the manlev voxbox yet but I have heard the manley version and it leaves MUCH to be desired.
    like everything that makes a great tone.
    I would love to hear about the manlev version though. :w:

8. atlasproaudio

LOL! The Manlev is the east Russian version when the company split into two after WWII.

9. regisfunk

regisfunk Guest

So, how about the avalon 737SP? I know at least some of you folks have em out there, what with all the hype these things had for a couple of years. Now that the dust has settled, and people have had time to put them through their paces, where do they tend to shine best? I have been using mine on vox, but I have some vintech/neve and API stuff on order, and I'm wondering if my avalon is going to start collecting dust. In fact, I've even considered selling it and getting one of those damn vintech 1073's. But I am a fickle SOB, and trying to quit the habit. I'm just now beginning to acquire cool pre's, so until now, my avalon has been my primary pre, and it gets A LOT of use. Interestingly enough, it has really been a life saver DI/pre/eq for quick and dirty marshall JMP1 tracking (the Marshall amp simulator box). When I don't have time to mic a cab, this combo rox. But admittedly, I have little to compare the 737 to.

So, trying to stay on topic, what do you all think of the ol' 737 for vox, vs. say a 1073 clone (I ain't even gonna consider the real deal)?

CS

10. PC Trauma

PC Trauma Guest

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my Tube Tech MP 1A............... To me using it along with my dbx 166 comp, and apogee a/d converters are priceless............

11. drumsound

drumsound Active Member

Originally posted by miketholen:
    haven't heard the manlev voxbox yet but I have heard the manley version and it leaves MUCH to be desired.

I gotta stop posting and 2:00 AM! Mike, I know you don't like ManleY stuff, but I'd like to see your place some time. I'll be in Chicago for Thanksgiving.

12. Marc Edwards

Marc Edwards Guest

What's everyone's experience been with the Millennia? I'm going to borrow one for a session, but I don't think I'm going to get much time to play with it... (I think i'm going to buy either the Millennia or a 737).

13. lianna

lianna Guest

Originally posted by miketholen:

Mike,
    If you heard my serial #0006 dual manley(it has some funky name stamped on it, along with the manley name) you would change your mind. Amazing!!!!
    Completely different tone than the new ones. You are right.

Dan Spitz
    Producer/mixer

14. miketholen

miketholen Guest

Mike,
    If you heard my serial #0006 dual manley(it has some funky name stamped on it, along with the manley name) you would change your mind. Amazing!!!!
    Completely different tone than the new ones. You are right.

Dan Spitz
    Producer/mixer
    really?...huh. cool.
    what's different?
    why did they change?
    too bad.
    I would really like to like the manley stuff but for god's sake it's just not worth the dough. :w:

15. bluebass

bluebass Guest

The Pendulum MDP-1 is the "Big Guns" for me. I don't have a big choice in pre's so 9 out 10 the MDP-1 get's the job. It's the best thing I have in my rack by far!

Tim L

16. atlasproaudio

Originally posted by Marc Edwards:
    What's everyone's experience been with the Millennia?

Very clear and open on the solid state line. The tube transformerless series has as nice hint of softening (the optional Telefunken tubes make a big difference in the sound of course). The STT-1 line channel is the ultimate. Tubes or SS or any of the signal path (Pre, EQ, compressor, Deesser). The Opto compressor is extremely fast (2ms attack!). The thing that really blew my mind was the transformer that is able to be switched in or out...the low end just blows up in Neve fashion, but still retains the clarity. I think a pair of STT-1 would be my Desert island signal path. See it here for pics and info:

http://

Good Luck!

17. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Focusrite Red-7
    Brent Averill 1272
    Avalon M5
    Summit MPC-100A
    Evil Twin w/mic-pre option
    Langevin Dual Mono
    Mackie 1202VLZ (some people like that brittle & harsh tone)

- Bruce -

18. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Hey Scott,
    You think the VMP-2 (peavey) is good (and it is), try the VCL-2 compressor by AMR Peavey. It is even better. Even warmer sound. It's also all tube model with and el op comp and transformer ins and outs with tons of head room, 2 channel designed similar to LA2a's and almost the same as the Manley el op which is over twice as much. They put a link switch in mine for an extra $30 so I can use it as dual mono or stereo.

19. Scott Gould

Scott Gould Active Member

Coldsnow -
    Yeah, I have one, but I don't use it much since getting the Crane Song Trakkers - the most versatile set of compressors I've ever seen.

Scott

20. sjoko

sjoko Guest

I think its great that we now have a Manlev and a Manley. No matter what, if its made in Russia or China, it MUST be better sounding than a Manley!!

My favorite and most used pre is the Forssell CS-1. Its designed / hand-build by Fred Forssell, who designed the top end Millennia pres (and stopped doing so when they "cheapened" his designs. The CS-1 is without question the best channel strip I've ever used.

Next are the Graces, which will always be just wonderful.