Volume Level

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by Earthless, Jul 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

Wasnt shure where to post this, maybe in the daw section. Anyways, im listening too songs i have been recording and exporting over the last years and i find that the volume level is very different for each of the songs. Its kind of annoying. Is there a way to deal with and correct this without spending several hours?

In general i find it very challenging to keep the same persistent volume level for songs i have made a year ago vs last month. Is there some special tools that can help with this?

Thanks!

2. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Good metering, a mastering limiter and a modicum of skill.

3. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

Yeah, im still learning. But these songs are in hundreds and recorded over the last fifteen years. Projects are gone.
    So what i meant is if there are some way to batch process the files so the amplitude level will be the same for all tracks?

4. Lofty Whitaker

Lofty Whitaker Active Member

Can't think of a way to do this in a batch and I'm willing to bet you wouldn't really want to. Too much room for file errors. If you have two track masters in digital format you should be able to set up a template in Wavelab or Soundforge for example and process each song to the same volume level. Do you have any mastering software?

5. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

I just got Adobe Audition. Not much experience with it yet. The tracks are just home recordings and not any "commercial product".
    It will take too much time to do this without a batch process. The recordings have been made in Ableton Live and i havent paid enough attention
    to get the songs at the same level when exporting or to be honest im not really sure how to achieve it. Anyways, for future recordings i need to pay more attention to this when mixing/mastering the songs. A mastering template is what i need. Ill see if i can set that up in Audition.

6. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

A lot of players do this on the fly without altering the file. In iTunes I think it's called Aircheck or something.

7. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

You might want to look into WavePad. It will batch process files with the script of your making, in this case with a "Normalize" function. It will also ask you if you'd like the files to retain their file format (wav., aiff, mp3, whatever), or convert them to a single format of your choice. Bear in mind, just because all the tracks would then have the same peak volume, it's no guarantee they'll be perceived as having the same level of loudness. In fact it's pretty unlikely, especially if your recording techniques have changed that drastically over the years. But, I don't know what else you could do to get any better results with less investment, or less time and effort.

I would definitely recommend making a duplicate folder for the original recordings that remains unaltered incase you don't like having all your tracks maxed out volume-wise.