1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

VS 1880 Attenuator question

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Trademax, May 22, 2001.

1. Trademax

Trademax Guest

I have used the attenuator several times to get boost from a signal when needed...noticed it only goes up 1 position to plus 6db....but also goes the opposite direction quite a bit more...when would you use that application, in leiu of simply bringing down the fader? thanks is advance...

2. Curve Dominant

Curve Dominant Active Member

I dunno, bro. I'm using the VS880EX, and the attenuator goes 12 dB increments in either direction.

You would boost or cut the attenuator to maximize/minimize the incoming signal.

Maybe you should explain in more detail exactly why you're tweaking the attenuators, and I or someone else lurking here could guide you to the results that you're seeking.

3. Trademax

Trademax Guest

As I recall, my 1880 gives 6db boost, and near 40 db reduction....(somewhere around that number)....I just discovered that last week....still waiting on my 2480 to arrive ! ha! I used the attenuato to inc 6db to boost a particular vocal part, actually a "sigh" that would not have been loud enough without the extra help..just haven't seemed to need a reduction...

if I recorded a vocal too hot and had borderline distortion, could the reduction in db help? just a guess.....thanks in advance..... :eek:

4. At mixdown, it can be useful to attenuate the track in order to keep the fader in a more natural position (nearer to 100%) relative to other tracks.

5. Curve Dominant

Curve Dominant Active Member

Damn, Larry, can you believe I hadn't thought of that? That is a f*ckin' great idea. Thanks for that input, my bro!

That just goes to show y'all folks that anyone can make a contribution here, and that I'm learning at the same time as everyone.

LARRY, AH DEP-YU-TAHZ YEUW! Let's get some folks from the Planet over here. The cool ones, that is.