1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

VST Instruments?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by thepooch, Feb 17, 2004.

1. thepooch

thepooch Guest

I may be working with Cubase in the future and I was advised (affordably) to go with the VST instruments, and load and sequence them in Cubase.

Can these instruments be as realistic and reliable as a high quality keyboard or sound module?

And if they’re good, what name brand to look for? I’m pretty sure they have low quality as well as high.

And I’m also (as mentioned in a previous post) looking for high quality drum kits: kick drums that punch, thick snares, crisp hi-hats, etc. And I didn’t know whether to spend alota cheese on a Roland MV-8000 and just buy samples (is it even worth it?), or trust in the VST Instruments.
    Or am I comparing Day and Night as far as quality is concerned?

2. Barkingdogstudios

Barkingdogstudios Active Member

I don't have a lot of experience with samples versus sound modules or keyboards, but little experience I do have would dictate that the samples are generally much better unless you're into the really high end modules like the Korg Triton or the new Yamaha unit. I was using a Korg X5RD (?) and tried out sound fonts on a whim. The sound fonts were quite a bit better than the sound module's sounds especially with strings, horns and drums. I have a friend who uses Cubase and Sampletank. The sounds are pretty amazing. Besides, I like the fact that you can get away with one less piece of hardware.

As far as which samples to use, yes there seems to be a wide range of quality. In my limited experience the free ones aren't very good; at least not much better than the module-generated sounds. You generally have to pay for the better ones and some can be fairly pricey. My friend using Sampletank said there's like a Sampletank club where other people who own it post samples on the web that you can download. Some were kind of cheezy, others were very impressive.

3. by

by Guest

Take a look around soundsonline.com.. I've recently ordered a few things from them and thei company EastWest and also Quantum Leap make a few very impressive sampled instruments.

There are alot of great sampled drum kits coming out that are usable. "DrumKit From Hell" is a good example, it's probably one of the more popular - though perhaps not the best for what you want to do. I also know of "Artisan Drums" which have a number of drums sets and styles.

Like most other sample libraries, there are thousands of different single-note/hit samples with varying velocity and articulations. While getting into these huge sample libraries can be very daunting at first, I don't know of any keyboard that offers the same amount of expression, especially for the amount of money spent.

4. levihoward

levihoward Guest

Ilio's "Double Platinum Drums" are a go-to for me. Actually mixing a country song this evening with them and cut a single about a month ago where I programmed with them. They stood right up against all the live drums on the rest of the record.

5. pandamonkey

pandamonkey Active Member

My favourite VSTI's generally come from Native Instruments. Check them out!
    mIchAEl

6. sserendipity

sserendipity Member

My outboard gear has been turned off so long, I should really sell it before it depreciates any more. VSTs are so much better in terms of sound quality, variety and ease of use.

Yes. If you want drums, battery is killer. My room mate is in love with Drum kits from Hell running battery. I prefer Native Instruments Synthetic drums myself. (We have set up all our computers as fxteleport boxes on the same hub. Incredible! And then the bastard comes home again, and wants to use my computer!

Keep in mind that there is a bigger difference between virtual analog, or modeling instruments, and Romplers - which are just sample playback units, just like their hardware equivalents by Roland, Korg etc.

7. tjkili

tjkili Guest

There´s a new Drum PlugIn out called "BFD" from
    FXPansion --> http://www.fxpansion.com/product-bfd-main.php

In my opinion it´s the best sounding and most flexible
    Drum Plugin I have heard. You have the option to
    either have the whole Kit on a stereo AUX or have
    each drum (Kick, Snare OH´s etc) on a seperate Track.
    You can even control the distance of the room mics!!
    In my opinion other drum samples like Drumkit from
    Hell can even get close to this one.
    One thing though is that the libary is quite huge.
    It comes on 2 DVDs.

But I´d definitely check out their Homepage and have
    a look at it.

tjkili

8. David French

David French Well-Known Member

tjkili,

That thing looks really interesting. I'm using Drumkit From Hell (the original version), and i'm happy with it. Did you mean to say that "...Drumkit From Hell cannot even get close..."?

9. CircuitRider

CircuitRider Active Member

I haven't used them in a long time, but I used to use SampleTank VST instruments. They had a bunch of decent free ones. It'd be a good way to play around and get used to it anyway.

10. bhuvan

bhuvan Active Member

the spectrasonics bundle is also quite nice.. i've used absynth, but have heard amazing things about Trilogy (for bass) and Stylus (for drums).

11. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

Sorry, I gotta buck the trend here. My Motif Rack blows the pants off most of the rompler-style VSTi's IMO. See, the problem is that the general purpose rompler VSTi's (like ST2 and Hypersonic) can't compare, sound for sound, and the specialized rompler VSTi's are just that, specialized, so to replace a synth like the Motif, I'd need several specialized VSTi's.

I sold my original Motif 7, with the mistaken belief that I could replace it with softsynths. Let's just say that I couldn't.

Now for virtual analog, and physical modelling, and so on, its hard to justify spending thousands on hardware, when there are free or relatively cheal software equivalents out there. But having said that, I would part with my leg before I parted with my OASYS.

Some people believe that the 'hardware' of a hardware synth is specifically tuned to reproduce audio, and therefore gives a better sound that its software equivalent. I don't know what it is, but I know that hardware synths will always have a place in my studio.

12. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Mark, you got my vote on that too.

13. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

Not to mention that the MoRack will always give me 128 voices, and never tax my CPU, and comes with its own pretty good effects, which, once again, don't tax my CPU!

Did I mention that it doesn't tax my CPU? Especially important for me, as my Quicksilver G4 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

14. thepooch

thepooch Guest

Mark, and others, what type of soundcard do you have in your computer. Do you like it, and why? If you don't like it, what would you get?

15. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Pooch,

I (and I believe Mark as well, right?) have a M-Audio Delta66 that I am very happy with. It has excellent specs, a good price, has stable very low latency drivers (2 msec here), and is just the right size for what I do.

16. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

I'm happy with my Delta 66/Omni Studio, until I can afford an RME or Lynx card, and then I won't be happy with my Delta anymore ;)

But seriously, the Delta does everything I would ever need, and does it well. Its a great card for beginners - as I was three years ago - novices - as I still am - and relatively poor/broke musicians - that sounds familiar too!

17. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

I was using two 20bit Layla cards before I upgraded to the 24/96 Layla. I'm still using Cubase SX ver. 1.06 which works exceptionally well with the Echo card however the older Echo cards lacked the Adat/optical I/O that's on the newer card. I do have plans on upgrading in the distant future to something that's closer to if not Pro-Tools itself, since you can run it off of a Win 2000 or XP platform now. If possible, I'd like to keep my existing system so I can have the best of both worlds.

18. SpiralDragon

SpiralDragon Guest

speeking of sound cards... i have two CreamWare Luna IIs in my rig (got the other one as a gift or i would have gon with pulser :D ) but the lunas in my rig are just wow... at least for the time being ;)

VSTIs i love them... I use battary, Xphrase, Halion and a few others....

19. sserendipity

sserendipity Member

Stylus is a very stupid way of accessing drum loops. They chose to make it look the same as the atmosphere and tirlogy set ups, even though it's use is fundamentally different.

They sound nice, but you can get much cheaper collections, such as the Sonic Foundry ones, for much less.

Trilogy I like for just one of the sounds it gives, and I use it on half my songs, so I guess I got my money's worth. It has a bit of 'demoitis' about it's sounds though - the are too full-range for worthwhile use as a bass.

Atmosphere sounds really nice at a first impression, but it suffers a lot from the 'demo-itis', the sounds sound great, but are so think and dense that fitting them into a song becomes too hard. Also, I soon got tired of the 'rompler'ness.

20. x2x3

x2x3 Guest

Plug in reverb vs Outboard reverb????