Wanker pretends to need help but is just posing...

Discussion in 'Location Recording' started by Simmosonic, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Simmosonic

Simmosonic Active Member

Tomorrow I have to record a number of Newari musicians performing religious music in a Hindu temple on the outskirts of Kathmandu, at 7am.

Tabla, harmoniums, bells and cymbals, maybe flute, vocals and roxy (homebrew alcohol made from fermented millet and rice).

I have a Nagra V, a Schoeps MS pair, and an alarm clock.

Any advice?

2. o2x

o2x Active Member

Make sure you phase align the alarm clock before you do anything!

3. ghellquist

ghellquist Member

I see. You have found an internet cafe and needs to talk to some westerners.

Now, my knowledge of this subject is very spotty to say the least. But I guess what I would do is to never eat with my left hand (reserverd for other duties), take off my shoes before entering any place of worship and stay off the alcohol except for medical use (which can be extended).

Ooh, the recording, I guess you are qualified in doing that so just go ahead. After all how wrong can you get with an MS array as long as you point it forward?

Before I get too jelous on you, please list all the diseases you have contracted on the trip.

Anyway, good luck. Hope to hear parts of your recordings in due time.

Gunnar

4. FifthCircle

FifthCircle Well-Known Member

Just rub it in there, why don't you :D BTW, I didn't say it before, but it is great to see you back here Greg. Hope all's well with you...

--Ben

5. huub

huub Guest

aim the schoeps at the musicians, and put the nagra in record mode..

6. hughesmr

hughesmr Guest

Don't slave the Nagra to the alarm clock. That's all I can think of. 8)

Mike

7. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

What model of alarm clock? If it's not a stable clock, you're asking for big troubles!!!

If it's the Casio, think twice. If it's the Sony, you're golden.

Whatever you do, DON'T snooze. It causes an irreperable delay.

8. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

Drink the homemade alcohol and set the alarm clock to make sure you hit the record button in time. Do not sit on the microphone otherwise you could harm yourself!

Microphone envy
    Ms. Remy Ann David

9. DavidSpearritt

DavidSpearritt Well-Known Member

Simmo, you're obviously homesick. Get yourself together boy!

10. mdemeyer

mdemeyer Active Member

Is it one of those alarm clocks that have been cryogenically treated to align the loose electrons? (Anyone remember Mr. Tice?) If so, then you will wake up in the perfect state for this recording. If not... ???

11. bluesdudeo

bluesdudeo Active Member

Keep your Rizla's ( ciggarette roling papers) in your Glass case during the mid day sun ... Persperation causes miss-rolls. Also slip the Nepo balls in someone else's pocket. 8) safety first.

12. sturoc

sturoc Active Member

Hi,
    Would like to know how your recording turns out .
    possible to mp3 a sample of it to me?

13. Simmosonic

Simmosonic Active Member

Wow, thanks so much for all the advice...

I started by drinking most of the alcohol; it was just confusing the issue and I needed to get it out of the equation. Then I went over all this advice you guys gave me and, well, I thought I got it right.

First, I pulled the phase-aligned Casio alarm clock out of the freezer and found the Nagra still wouldn't sync to it, so I filed a warranty report with Tice and stuck the clock in someone else's pocket, along with the Nepo balls and Rizlas for good measure. So far, so good, I figured.

Leaving my shoes at the door and being careful what I touched with my left hand, I drank the rest of the alcohol, stumbed across the floor and fell onto the Nagra V shouting "namaste buddha hare-krishna" as a count-in and rotating the NV's transport control into record mode on the way down. About then, the musicians stopped looking confused and finally started playing...

On replay, I thought it sounded like sh*t. Then I realised I was right. I had done my own Christopher-Walken-scene-from-Pulp-Fiction, but with the microphones instead of Butch's father's watch. Ouch. I don't envy those mics at all, but I can't seem to find the Rycote. I suspect that time will tell if it really IS a good wind filter...

Yeah, I guess I'm getting homesick and needing to talk to Westerners. But not just any Westerners - audio Westerners!

(In case you're wondering how the recording went, see next message...)

14. Simmosonic

Simmosonic Active Member

A funny thing happened on the way to the temple...

I had to leave my hotel room at 6:15am in order to get to the temple on time. As I approached the temple I could hear the most beautifully mournful unison singing/prayer filling the air. Next to the Hindu temple I was going to was a Buddhist cremation 'temple' (for lack of a better word, it's specifically for funeral services and cremations). This is where the unison singing/prayer was coming from. So, my local friend asked around and we found out it was a cremation service for an old Manang woman, and the singing was actually Manang prayers for her to have eternal peace. Eventually we found a close relative and he gave me permission to record the singing in exchange for an offering to be put towards the cost of the cremation service.

I went to the source of the sound and found, to my amazement, at least 200 women (I stopped counting when I got to more than 20 rows of at least 10 women per row), sitting and singing in unison. Apparently, this singing goes on for two or three hours, but they take a two minute break every 10 to 15 minutes to drink some butter tea and catch their breath.

They were in a largish room on an upper floor, relatively low ceiling, with a wall to their left and one in front of them. To the right and behind them were no walls - it was open out to the hillside and down to the river, where I initially heard this wonderful sound.

I couldn't stand in exactly the right position because that would've been directly in front of them. In other words, damn rude and disrespectful - I'm not a TV news sound guy so I'm not into that kind of flagrant intrusion So, I stood in the front corner and did the best I could, but I couldn't help but feel disrespectful, despite the reassurances and urging of locals to go in. They even gave my local friend and I a cup of butter tea each as a sign of hospitality...

The sound in the space was amazing, but I am not sure the recording does it justice. Interestingly, the room has little reverb due to missing two walls, but there are a handful of strong early reflections that give a doubling effect to everything. It actually sounds a bit like a soccer crowd warming up for Gregorian chant. It also has, out to the far left, the sound of other women in the open kitchen area making butter tea and preparing food...

Because of this unexpected and spontaneous spur-of-the-moment recording (just the way I like 'em!), I got to the temple about an hour later than anticipated and, by then, the musicians were well and truly playing their ritual music. I did the best I could with the microphone, and the recording is acceptable, but I would've liked to move the musicians around a bit. They were sitting side-by-side in a straight line, about 8 or 9 of them - and so the harmoniums (which were in the centre) are a bit strong. Nonetheless, I have another chance at it on Sunday, this time I'll get there on time and make sure I can position them in more of a semi-circle.

I will be happy to put a short mp3 excerpt of the unison singing/prayer on this forum if anyone wants to comment/critique it (no need to be nice, no one learns anything from that except how to be nice!). Just let me know where to send it...

15. Cucco

Holy CRAP.... You need some help!!! :lol:

BTW - your problem with the recording was simple. For a Direct to Two-Track Colon-Mounted System, you need to avoid a M/S Setup and go for a:
    Anterior
    Symetrical
    Side
    Pattern. Schoeps sells special balls to attach to the end of the mics for that. DPA has special cones, which make it far easier to take than the Schoeps.

Neumann on the other hand has their KU-100Rect Dummy-Butt model which is perhaps the most easy and versatile of them all.

BTW - unless you ingested great amounts of curry - a Roycote shield is entirely unnecessary in this pattern (not to mention, a tad too messy to clean afterwords!!!)

I hope you can go to a temple soon and find some inner peace... (y)

Perhaps the temple of Guinness??

j

16. FifthCircle

FifthCircle Well-Known Member

Eegad Jeremy.. That's just too much. It is too early in the morning to be laughing like that. (y)

Geography, Jeremy, geography.... As any good beer drinker knows, the temple of Guinness is St. James Gate in Dublin. (Which I visited in September, and enjoyed immensely)

--Ben

17. Cucco

Ah, yes. But, Guinness is a shrine which is worshiped internationally. Besides, I'm not too familiar with any Tibetan beers... :lol:

18. bap

bap Member

I'm glad I dropped by to see this thread. It is beautiful as well as many other things...

19. DavidSpearritt

DavidSpearritt Well-Known Member

Indeed.

20. Simmosonic

Simmosonic Active Member

Hmmm, sounds good. I think my Schoeps have their polar responses incorrectly spec'd. I seem to be experiening a hemorrhoidal response.