1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Wanting to record loud aircraft!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Unregistered, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi there!
    Hoping my post is relevant to this forum but I'm looking to record aircraft..loud aircraft...as in fighter jets at quite close range.
    I'm on a relatively low budget and I'm looking for a piece of kit that is relatively portable.

Is there an audio recorder with a good built in mic or a mic I can buy that will cope with very loud volumes and not distort. I'm sick of my video footage being distorted so it's time I start recording footage seperately.

Hope you can help?

2. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    As a fan of startup and flyby videos I feel your pain. I would try a Shure SM57 since they often used in high SPL applications like a couple of inches off a snare drum. They are also quite common so you should be able to borrow or rent one before buying. An inline attenuator might also be a good idea. But if the mic's diaphragm can't handle the levels no amount of attenuation later in the signal path will help.
  3. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Moderator Resource Member

Mar 20, 2008
    currently Billings
    Also, if you are recording separately, you can place the mic farther away or even place a baffle in front of the diaphragm. An F22 likely is putting out upwards of 140-170 dB at takeoff. VTOL would be slightly higher.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  4. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    For a battery-powered portable set, I would try a pair of Shure SM57s on stands in a spaced configuration (5 - 7 ft apart) feeding the XLR inputs of a Zoom H4N. Unlike the built-in electrets on the H4N, the SM57s will cope with SPLs in excess of 150dB. I couldn't be the recordist at levels greater than that, even with a good set of ear defenders.
  5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Some good suggestions there!
    Im liking the look of the Zoom H4N but are there any other similar devices at lower prices?