1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Warm Audio WA87

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by Sean G, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Just launched at AES 2016...would be interesting to see how it compares to the real thing.

pcrecord and Kurt Foster like this.
  2. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

Interesting. But I keep wondering if those old designs and sounds are the best choices for recording today.
    Keep in mind I'm referring to the purpose in which they were invented and I'm talking of large mixer and tape.
    Since most of us don't have those anymore and that the converters are more precise than ever.. would a classic U87 still fit.. or a 414 ? will they be a bit too hyped in the HF since tape was demanding for more HF in the signal chain..

How about a new mic designed for DAW recording ?

audiokid likes this.
  3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

have you ever used a U 87? i would hardly call them hyped in any area. they are one of the flattest mics around . very neutral sounding. not at all like any AKG which are hyped in the high end. also many of those classic designs were created before tape and big consoles came into fashion. they weren't made to sound like they did because of that.

pcrecord likes this.
  4. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

It was interesting to hear how Warm Audio have kept the price low on these, I would say they followed the same principle in regards to their WA-76's, EQP-WA's and WA2-A's where the pricepoint is lower due to lower margins and higher production runs.

It would be good to hear a comparison between this and a real U87. I don't expect it to sound exactly the same, although from the video it is stated that the signature is very close. ....then again I'm sure not every genuine U87 sounds exactly the same as another genuine U87 anyway.

I'm sure as soon as they hit the market come November there will be video comparisons soon after.

There are so many options today from manufacturers that IMO we are a little spoiled for choice.

pcrecord likes this.
  5. Kurt Foster

i would bet the farm the capsules are of Asian origin. those kind of savings have to be from cheaper labor.

6. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

@Kurt Foster I have sent Warm Audio a message via their Facebook page asking where the capsule is made...as soon as they reply I'll post their response.

I am interested to know too now you bring it up. ;)

7. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Warm Audio have replied overnight to my query regarding where the capsules are made.

Chad D Kelly from Warm Audio posted this response.

"Sean, we worked with a capsule developer based out of an Australian office as well as consulted with a couple other gurus to develop a line of replica capsules that are true to the period. quality brass, and NOS Japanese PET film (mylar). they are assembled in a small shop in Asia but definitely not your typical 'mass produced' capsule. They cost multiples of what most people in the industry are paying for 'chinese' capsules, plus they are made to our exact specs." Chad-Warm

I wonder if the developer from Australia they refer to is Rode?...maybe they consulted with Warm to develop the capsule design and manufacture.

audiokid likes this.
  8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

If not, they should be. To my understanding, RODE is the most advanced audio engineering/ microphone manufacturing plant in the world now.

I've heard RODE is making mics and related components for other company now.
    Kudo's to RODE.

Sean G likes this.
  9. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

A great Australian success story, RODE.

I do have a few RODE mics and a couple in a similar pricepoint to the WA87. I hope to be able to do a shootout when I can get my hands on one of these WA87's and post a thread here on RO.

audiokid likes this.
  10. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Indeed.

11. Kurt Foster

if they sound anywhere near like a U 87 they're a good deal.

audiokid likes this.
  12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Not sure if you are referring to the K2? But I sold the U87 after comparing it to many of the other mics here. The U87 was nice but far from what I expected for a $2500 mic. Once the USD hit $125 CDN, I sold it to get a Bricasti. Good trade.

Another alternative might be Mojave 200 and 300 sounds just as good.
    http://recording.org/threads/neumann-u87-alternatives.53445/

13. audiokid

audiokid Staff

14. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Pricepoint for the WA87 I believe is $599 USD and I believe they are available from November.

Even here in Australia it would work out at around $789-$799 AUD mark, which isn't too bad a pricepoint.

I think a mic comparison / shootout in that particular pricepoint across a few different manufacturers would be good and very informative. It would give those looking for an affordable option a good place to start.

I think Marco's shootout a little while back was a really good comparison when it came to comparing DIY kit builds with off the shelf comparisons. We really need a little more of this IMO.

When I do get a chance to try the WA87 a review is definitely on the cards. Stay tuned.

audiokid likes this.
  15. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

The price continues to rise on the U87's still Chris from what I have seen on some sites...on ebay there was one in the US only a few weeks ago which looked like it had taken a few knocks in its time...it was at just under $3k US, while one was recently listed in Canada for just over $3k CAD.

There was a vintage U67 that was just under $9k USD as well.

When you think about it, if the WA87 is close to sounding like a U87... for its pricepoint it is a very attractive option, if you are not partial to what makers' badge adorns your mics.

16. audiokid

audiokid Staff

(y)
    It looks really nice.
    +1
    Lets hope they've done a great job.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/warm-audio-wa-87/

17. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

http://microphone-parts.com/collections/microphone-kits offer very easy DIY kits. They offer all the parts and very detailed instructions on how to build your own mic.
    I built a T47 and a T12, both transformer based designs (same circuit). Over time I found I like the T47 better.
    The t47 have less HF and detailed low end. It does a great job on high pitched and nazal vocals. Also it performs well on too bright guitar cabs.

My T12 have less low end unless you are nearly touching the grill and it has a bump in the HF. When I get time, I intend to put the RK47 capsule in it and see if it performs like the T47. If so, I'll order another RK47 to make a pair. I don't know if I damaged the RK12 when I made the build but it has a peak in the 10k area that I don't like, it makes things sound metalic. Matt (the owner) said it's not suppose to do this.

I think I like the T47 so much because it's the opposit of hyped in the HF.

18. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

This was just posted on the Warm Audio facebook page.

It shows a frequency graph of an almost 50 year old mint U87 next to a WA87.

Warm is the purple and the red, the green is the Vintage 87.

Wa-87 vs U87 frequency response graph.jpg

19. audiokid

audiokid Staff

It would be interesting to see what the average Warm WA87 consistency is.

20. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

True Chris, but it would also be good to see it in comparison to the average U87 as well...although I think that data would be hard to get for the older models no doubt...newer models maybe.