1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Warmest Mic Pre???

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by AnalogAndyNYC, Apr 1, 2011.

1. AnalogAndyNYC

AnalogAndyNYC Active Member

Mic Pre Question...

I have a U87 ai and I was thinking about getting a UA 710-Twin Finity to add some warmth to vocals. I'm a big fan of the early 90s Boyz II Men End of the Road/I'll Make Love to You/On Bended Knee sound. I talked to their tech and he said he thinks they used a U87 but I didn't think to ask him what preamps they might have used.

My singer and I are trying to recreate that sound (to the best of our ability). I was wondering what preamps you guys think would be best for that sound...

Thoughts?

2. Paul999

Paul999 Active Member

Warm is kind of a tough description. Some people hear "warm as muddy". I haven't used the 710. I own 2 LA-610's which some say that they sound wooly which might mean warm to some. The U87 ai through the LA-610 can easily get sibilant. This can be controlled and is workable though. I really like my Shadow hills mono gama pre. What it has is exceptional focus in a mix. This is my secret weapon to get bass guitars to sit with a focused low end. On vocals you can add a little 125hz-175hz and really give a voice a huge but focused low end. Most good quality pre's should sound nice with this mic if you work with it. So many legendary vocal sounds were made with a U87 and whatever pre was in the console.

Cheers