Waves mastering plugs

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by Downside Studio, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Hey guys. I just ordered the waves C4 plug. One day after ordering somebody offered me the NPP pack (L1, C1, Q10 etc) for a fairly reasonable price. It was from 1997 however. (don't know which version, but with dongle)

My own mastering projects are not for mass-productions (2500+), only for smaller projects. Should I buy the NPP packet also, or will the C4 just do fine ?

sys : Mac G4 / PTLE / Peak

2. monty teebaum

monty teebaum Member

Originally posted by Downside Studio:
    Hey guys. I just ordered the waves C4 plug. One day after ordering somebody offered me the NPP pack (L1, C1, Q10 etc) for a fairly reasonable price. It was from 1997 however. (don't know which version, but with dongle)

My own mastering projects are not for mass-productions (2500+), only for smaller projects. Should I buy the NPP packet also, or will the C4 just do fine ?

the newest version of the l1 is a bit better than the version before 3.x, but the npp1-plugs sounds for my taste a little bit harsh & liveless, a bit like old beer...

3. monty teebaum

monty teebaum Member

Originally posted by Downside Studio:
    Hey guys. I just ordered the waves C4 plug. One day after ordering somebody offered me the NPP pack (L1, C1, Q10 etc) for a fairly reasonable price. It was from 1997 however. (don't know which version, but with dongle)

afaik all waves plugs work now without dongle, ask about the lisence, mabye this is a old dongle without licence!

4. drumsound

drumsound Active Member

I'd get the power pack and see if you can upgrade to the current version. The C4 isn't very intuitive IMHO. I can't seem to wrap my head around it. I use the Renaissance EQ a lot. And then The L1.

5. sjoko

sjoko Guest

ever tried the TC MasterX? I personally think thats a lot better

6. monty teebaum

monty teebaum Member

Originally posted by sjoko:
    ever tried the TC MasterX? I personally think thats a lot better

i don't like tc-dynamics at all, the multibandcompressor of samplitude ist more musically for my taste.

7. patrick

patrick Guest

From version 3, a dongle is not required. Waves did not bother collecting the dongles from people who upgraded, so I would guess that this might be from someone who upgraded and wants to get a little back from "selling" the old one. If that's the case, you wouldn't actually have a licence to use the version two, even though it would work because the dongle has already been authorized. You wouldn't be able to upgrade, and you both might possibly be doing something not exactly legal. Better find out for sure.

8. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

I would definately get the latest NPP...better support for lower processor useage and coding differences..and yes getting rid of the dongle thing was a blessing...I used to have Waves, Cubase and Nuendo stackedon the back of my PC...now I'm down to just Nuendo..
    I use Nuendo's Compressor alongside the L1...what a combo man!!
    Opus

9. monty teebaum

monty teebaum Member

Originally posted by Opus2000:
    I would definately get the latest NPP...better support for lower processor useage and coding differences..and yes getting rid of the dongle thing was a blessing...I used to have Waves, Cubase and Nuendo stackedon the back of my PC...now I'm down to just Nuendo..
    I use Nuendo's Compressor alongside the L1...what a combo man!!
    Opus

try once the psp-audioware vintage warmer. its not a only brickwall, its a combination of (multband)-compressor, tapesaturation and brickwall. for some mixes the vintage warmer is too smooth, for the most he slauther the l1 easy.
    at the moment you olny can get a demo or (ask them) a beta, but in a few days a final version is out, also a direct-x version.

10. Solfatio

Solfatio Guest

It's not really an answer for you, but concerning mastering software you might also want to check out T-RackS. It's a slick little package.

http://www.t-racks.com