1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Weird crackling sound on recordings?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by mlekic, Jul 12, 2010.

1. mlekic

mlekic Active Member

Hi, this is my first post on this forum, and I was wondering if you guys could help me with a problem.

Every time I record, I get a weird crackling noise on my recordings. I am running a dynamic mic through a mixer (with great preamps) to a guitar rig session i/o usb interface. it is then running into my computer (windows vista home premium 32 bit) and into my DAW (sony acid 7.0 pro). I am recording in stereo, and everything works fine, except for a weird crackling noise on my recordings. I am using a headphone output from my mixer to monitor WHILE i'm recording, and it sounds perfectly clear. but when i listen to the recording after i'm done with it through my monitors, it has the weird forementioned crackling sound. any suggestions or solutions?

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

hmm, from your explanation, it doesn't sound like clipping. Could be the infamous buffer setting. First things first; Check your preferences for buffer settings and move it up to 512 or 1024. See if that works.

What do you think TheJackAttack?

3. mlekic

mlekic Active Member

on my buffer settings it apparently goes only up to 2.00. i don't really know what to do about that.

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

What's your interface?

5. mlekic

mlekic Active Member

guitar rig session i/o usb. this: Amazon.com: Native Instruments Guitar Rig SESSION - Full VersionÂ…

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Somewhere there should be a setting. I looked here: "Overall Latency" Demystified: why does my NATIVE INSTRUMENTS software report a greater audio latency since I updated it?

Good luck.

7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

P.S.

this will help you understand more: Native Instruments : Knowledgebase Looks like you need to register.

8. mlekic

mlekic Active Member

ok, i messed around with the latency and it finally works! thanks!

9. Seph

Seph Guest

also, make sure you are using the best asio drivers for your hardware, either those that come with it, or if unavailable, use asio4all, which works pretty fine on my laptop when not using
    my M-Audio projectmix.

~S~