1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Weird electronic noise interfering in recordings...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by ailgun, Jun 8, 2010.

1. ailgun

ailgun Active Member

Hi,

I just wanted to ask you this noise interfering in any kind of recordings. Both Line-In and regular micing...

Please listen to it here;
    It's a bass recording but there is this terrible noise there and there.

http://ia360709.us.archive.org/5/items/RuinedBass/Bass215.aif

Thanks a bunch,
    A

2. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

It sounds like digital clipping to me. What are you recording through?

3. ailgun

ailgun Active Member

Motu 828mk3 with a Shure SM58 in front of an amp. But I have tried to record it Line-In with Line6 POD too. There still was this sound..

I record it just like the way I record anything else so I don't know why this sound comes with the bass guitar...

4. hueseph

Transients are fast enough that you might not even see it clip. If you hit 0dBfs at any point in time it will clip and sound bad. Turn down the gain. You don't need it to be that loud when you record. You can always boost after the fact.

5. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

It's signal dropout. Have a look in detail at the waveform between 40.9937 and 40.9947 seconds. This shows four drops in the direction towards zero about 0.25ms (10 samples) apart. The ringing visible is the response of the anti-aliasing filter in the ADC to these out-of-band signals, and this shows it's not due to missing samples after digitization.

Do all the channels in the MOTU behave in the same way?

6. ailgun

ailgun Active Member

Thanks for your reply.

And I have just recorded some acoustic guitars without these noises. They only come out in bass recordings.

I have zoomed to the location you said and saw them, those places are not curve like.

I will try other channels, but what does it mean if another channel records it normally? And isn't it weird it happens only with bass guitars?

Thanks again.

7. hueseph

Yikes. That's weird. Isn't this topic going on in another thread already?

8. ailgun

ailgun Active Member

And I have taken another recording today which was fine. I wonder what was the reason ruined that session and how did it get better in time?