1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Western Digital drives... never again

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Tommy P., Dec 2, 2002.

1. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Well-Known Member

I've put WD on my "never will get my money again" list. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. garysjo

garysjo Active Member

Which one and why??

3. eskimo

eskimo Guest

Yeah why?!
    I've got one coming in tomorrow...

4. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

I agree Tommy...but only with the 80GB JB models and lower...the 120GB JB models are rock solid.
    That's why I posted the Things to Consider post!!
    I just wish that Maxtor would make a smaller 8MB cached drive. 200GB is nice but waaaaay :eek: too big!
    Opus

5. Tommy P.

I just picked this MAxtor 80GB 8meg buffered 7200 drive at Staples. They price matched to this site:
    Maxtor 80G 6Y080L0 DiamondMax Plus 9 ATA133 7200RPM INT IDE HD
    An SATA version should be available also.

6. Tommy P.

yup, that was the one that just failed for a customer after only three months service. 80GB. Made me look like an ass(which really doesn't take too much if ya ask my future ex wife).
    And I had three 20GB 7200 rpm fail in different comps in the last year...
    I know thier warranty proceedures pretty well by now

7. Arranger

Arranger Active Member

That's pretty cool, Tommy. You got the gooks at Staples to match your oem price with a retail boxed drive. I also got one from them for $109 after coupon discounts. Nice drive.

I noticed that it buzzes for about 5 sec at boot-up. I even swapped with Staples for another and it does the same thing. Pretty quiet drive. I'm happy.

8. Fozz

Fozz Active Member

Opus,

I asked Western Digital if there were any problems with the 80gb (wd800jb) drives. Their response was: "There are no known problems with these hard drives' controller boards."

(Dead Link Removed)

9. Tore Nylund

Tore Nylund Guest

Well... I'm confused again.
    I was just about to order the WD 80 GB HD... then I hear that this is a bad HD . I've already bought my OS drive ( Seagate 60 GB) and now I don't know what kind of audio drive I should get.
    Is the this MAxtor 80GB 8meg a good choice ?
    Or is it better to go for the more expensive WD 120 GB 8meg?
    Anyone who knows if the noise level is equal, if you compare these two HD's?
    I'd be very grateful if someone could answer this, since I'm going to order the final parts for my DAW before the end of December.

10. Arranger

Arranger Active Member

Goto:
    http://www.storagereview.com/
    for definitive HDD info.

The WD800JB I have is slightly quieter than my two Maxtor 80GB'ers. All 7200 RPM.

Maxtors do tend to hold up well. WD had a bad reputation some years ago that they somehow pulled out of. Sounds like they may be back in the thick of it by the comments posted here.

11. Tommy P.

Its nice to see storagereview.com healthy again. At on time they had lost all data. They were backed up on-site only. Big mistake on thier part.
    I'm out of the loop as far as what drives are the best these days. Maxtor and Quantum, have always been solid for me, and since they are both owned by Maxtor now, there should be some excellent collaborative technology under one roof.

12. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Well, if you call up any hardware manufacturer do you "really" think they are going to admit to the problem at hand? NOOOOO! Of course not! They'll lie till they're blue in the face or until you speak to a manager that has to admit to it at one point....trust me...I know this working for one!
    Opus

13. Fozz

Fozz Active Member

Opus,

Is the origin of the 80gb drive problem a bunch of people like Tommy P having problems or has someone published some testing results documenting details of the problem?