1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

what cheap mic would best suit my voice?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Lee_B, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Lee_B

Lee_B Guest

Hi Guys-

I apologize if this question has been answered before. I've been searching around on the forum and just cant find the right answer-

Is there any way to make an educated guess on what budget mic would best suit my voice?

in terms of my voice I mean a male voice on rock tracks. I find it can get a bit thin and harsh in the high register. if you want to hear it, I have some real crappy recordings done on sm58's here: http://www.myspace.com/leebaillie -if that helps at all.

In terms of budget I got max $300 to spend on a vocal mic.

In terms of style I am mostly interested in early records from the mid 60s like Van Morrison, the Animals, the Beatles, Stones etc.
    In that case should I be considering ribbon mics at all? even so, I can only afford the nady one, and I have heard most say to keep well away from nady for studio applications.

my setup is a presonus firebox into computer, all I have right now is an sm57 and art tube MP. Im planning out all my equipment purchases in advance, and so far I plan on getting an FMR RNC, MAudio DMP3, pair of Oktava MK012's for overheads and acoustic guitar, and other odd things.

I think the room will play the biggest part of the sound in the end, so I plan on making rigid fiberglass bass traps and treating the walls and the ceiling.

Thanks for any advice you can give, and please remember I'm still at the hobbyist/basement studio stage, and like most people just trying to make the most out of a minimal budget!

2. Boltino

Boltino Guest

For $300, you can't go wrong with the AT4040.

Wes

3. Lee_B

Lee_B Guest

From info I've gathered around here, I've been leaning alot towards the adk hamburg. The descriptions "almost dark" and "smooth" appeals because my voice gets a bit ice-pickish at times.
    It is hard to choose though, I wish I had a box of high end mics to try :D

4. Jeemy

Jeemy Well-Known Member

Even at that level you should be able to try out a few at stores.

Some suggestions - new - KEL HM-1, Rode NT1/2/2000, the ATM is a stellar choice, SE 3200 (i dont like it, ymmv), or...

Go secondhand and get something like an AKG 414, Solidtube, Rode K2, SE ICIS/5600. The warm smooth tubes should help with your voice.