1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What creative tools do you use?.....

Discussion in 'Recording' started by swanmusic, Aug 3, 2005.

1. swanmusic

swanmusic Guest

Apart from Keyboards and PC (Software, VSTs), what hardware do you use that give you more creative ideas/freedom. Some of my friends use turntables, some use the MPCs. (most use software programs like Reason, Ableton, Acid etc).

2. McCheese

McCheese Well-Known Member

I used to mess around with DJing, and when I got out, I kept one 1200 for sampling. I collect wierd/obscure records. Other than that most of it is done in the box (Reason, Ableton, Tassman)

3. Rider

Rider Guest

if i had a better setup.. ANYTHING.

its pretty much all in the box for now, like theres an AAAEEEIIIOOOUUU sample in reason (maelstrom synth) i sped up, sounds like some satanic mumbo jumbo, or alien language, made a nice opener and inspired a weird ass (cool) song.

later went in logic and added me going 'ahhhhhhh' (like in death metal songs) which turned out to complement the hats pretty well, so i might mess with that some later too.

record anything you can. even stuff like miking a lighter going off can give interesting results. i would love to record various sounds from a ranch sometime, the machinery and the the mooing and such.

putting a mic in an odd spot can be nice, like in a can, and record a live instrument a foot away. never know whatll come out.

mostly for creative inspriation, though, i just use a guitar riff i wrote. or anything that pops into my head.