1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What cymbals do you use?

Discussion in 'Rides & Cymbals' started by RandomGuest, Mar 22, 2003.

1. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    I was wondering, what are your favorite cymbals to use for recording?

2. tmix

tmix Guest

In the Studio (as opposed to live) I tend to stick with the thinnest / smaller cymbals. They seem to record cleaner. You don't have as much overtone builup especially in a closer miced situation.
    I have 13" zildjian A Mastersound hihats (really crisp sizzle)
    17" Zildjian thin crash
    16" Sabian B8 pro light crash
    18" Sabian B8 pro light ride
    16" Zildjian dry light crash
    6" sabian thin splash
    I mainly record Jazz / Funk and Folk so for heavier Rock you may need some darker sounding stuff but these work fabulous for me!
  3. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Thanks, Tom. This is just what I'm looking for.

I've got some heavy (dark sounding) cymbals right now, but they just don't sound right to me. I'm not doing any really heavy music, though. So, yea, I'll check those out.

4. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2001
    I have a set of 14" Zildjian hats
    16 & 17" Paiste 2002 crashes
    18" Paiste 2002 Ride and a
    20" Sabian AA Ride

Plus a box full of old crappy things that can be useful for a variety of effects.

5. ctrl-z

ctrl-z Guest

Smaller sizes in lighter weights certainly do seem more manageable to record. God help the poor buggers who have to deal with getting battered old 19" Rock Crashes to tape!

I've posted this link elsewhere, and believe that it's a pretty useful reference.

The Sabian website lists pretty much every cymbal they make as MP3's, and the samples sound pretty accurate through decent monitors. Spending a little time perusing the catalog provides the unique perspective of evaluating how different weight, size and design affect cymbal sound; that's the fundamental info that'll make cymbal selection in ANY context a lot more effective.
  6. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Great link. Thanks for that :c: