1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What do you think about most re: the business?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by audiokid, Mar 25, 2001.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

What do you think about most?

I'll try this in a few words to start.

Everyday I wonder, how will I sell my music or will music be worth anything soon.
    What are my options going to be? Should I continue to believe that the future is bright for artists earning a good living or is it, ( making music that is because of the web and the DAW) going to be as common as the stereo itself meaning there will be so many people that have a way of recording that there won't be a pro market like it was. or......is music taking a whole new approach and we are moving towards a new way of marketing ourselves.

Will music be valued the same as it was in the past.

Will the computer flood the market making every computer guru a recording engineer/DAW musician?

Is that going to be the norm?

If we can record comparable quality music on a computer and everyone on the block has a computer then that means there will be tons of music out there.
    And I mean tons of it!
    :D

I'm not sure if these are the questions that should be asked on this forum but I think they will lead into the depth of conversation that I'm wanting to explore.

;)

2. shermock

shermock Guest

Hello audiokid,

This is just one person's thoughts, take it or leave it...!

I guess I look at the world, like my mother warned my wife of, through rose-colored glasses. I believe there will always be a way of disseminating quality music product from the rest of the garbage out there. Meaning that there will always be a market for good music that inspires the soul and hopefully turns new people on to music and its impact. There will be more stuff out there that I personally don't care for, but heck if the kids are buying it....! ;-)

The market and marketing strategy have changed. The Internet has been a new, somewhat rough-and-tumble vehicle for new music and musicians that gives back exactly what one gives it. I'm sure that those engineers/producers who embrace new technologies (like the blasphemous mp3) and make the most of them are going to be the ones who gain success and notariety in the next decade.

No, I'm not bagging on the analog vs. digital thing, I'm just thinking aloud here that if an Internet-music savvy engineer, one who makes mp3s sound good, does the Real or Liquid Audio thing well, and is able to advertise this to clients, will be able to pull in new musicians/work. If he/she so desires.

Great recordings and great music never go out of style. The demand for sonic quality on the recording side will always be there, just whether it is provided by the bloke behind the board is the question. You get what you pay for.

As consumer formats change, hopefully for the better, I think there could be a new demand for high-quality audio. Surround? Possibly. I still don't have anything close to surround capabilities, 'cuz I can't afford it. I bet a lot of people are in the same boat. I guess I'm betting on DVD-Audio or some such that will bring a better-quality stereo sound to the masses.

Just some coffee-laden rambling musings on a Monday morn!

Peace!

3. firewireguy

firewireguy Active Member

Yeah - they'll be tons more music...so what. The good stuff always finds an audience.

Even if you don;t make it huge...if you just have a great time creating it it's a win. And lets say you meet new people, perhaps build up a loyal audience who dig your stuff and you share a moment, well..that's quite wonderful too. There's so many levels of success and it's not so black and white anymore.

We just have more options as musicians and songwriters, a smaller hurdle to promoting, self-distributing, sharing, and attempting to perhaps make some money from our art. This is *the* time to be a do-it-yourselfer!

4. Gregg

Gregg Guest

Chris is getting sneaky. He fished me out of the pro audio board by redirecting the topic to DAW world.

My take on it is this. The great artists like the Dutch masters and the Italians had an edge by finding the ingredients for and mixing their own oils and paints. In the early 1900's the paints with exotic colors and shades became more available to the masses. Was there a resurgence of DaVinci or Rembrandt class work. Nope.

Aside from those controlling the advertising dollars, does anyone know what a hit song is? Nope.

What does the artist get or can reasonably expect from a "record deal?" Royalties (if they're lucky).

Why do records cost so much? The 'record company' superstructure of manufacturing, marketing, distribution and staffing costs.

What do computers and the internet, which doesn't rely on a manufacturing base or the old model of distributing "things," do to this picture? Yup. Kills off the record companies. Now what can the artist expect? The same royalties without the burden of the 'record company' superstructure and bloated prices for the consumer. That translates to more buying power and room for a lot more artists to survive in the same cash pool.

More people can now access the music affordably while more artists have a better chance of making a bit for themselves.

Is this a good thing? I think so. Is it a threat to my biz? Nope. Busier now than I was before it was all available to everybody. There's always a place for quality.

I'm waiting for the bandwidth and storage capacities to kick up so that this plague called 'mp3' will be forever banished. It's coming, I can smell it.

Cheers,

TB :) :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. eddyfree

eddyfree Guest

when i start thinking about business & music at the same time, i break out in hives and my tongue turns purple.

i just want to make music.

build it and they will come.

6. SonOfSmawg

SonOfSmawg Well-Known Member

This very topic has been lingering around RO since the beginning. I guess the mystery will continue to be so until it's history.
    Being a guitar teacher, and dealing with lots of younger "kidz", I've come accross another angle on this whole subject...the "demo". It seems that it is harder for young upstart bands on a piss-poor budget to get gigs. It used to be that you could set your little tape deck with a built-in mic in the middle of the room and get gigs with the resulting tape if the band was half-way decent. Not any more. Everyone and their dogs have decent sounding CDs. Just getting a local "$100 for the whole band" gig requires a CD and a promo pack. A lot of these two-bit local acts even have videos! Granted, it's not a huge expense to get a decent recording done, but it's one more hurdle to bands that are trying to get themselves "out of the garage"...

7. Henrysb3

Henrysb3 Guest

The microwave oven didn't make cuisine any better, but good cooks have found ways to use it.
    I live in a place that supports live music like Republicans support higher taxes, but some of my classmates became very successful in a band called Kansas. I have wondered if, like Michaelangelo and Mozart, new artists might have to look for rich patrons to eat and produce. I just found a reliable day job after disco dried up the venues in the late seventies.
    The band I play with now continues to struggle with "are we a cover band that plays some originals or are we an original band that plays some covers".

8. Curve Dominant

Curve Dominant Active Member

I think if more cats kept focussed on keeping it real, rather than chasing after some "fame & fortune" pipedream, we wouldn't be so preoccupied with where the music's going, because it would be doing just that: going. Ya know what I mean?

Music has always been a cultural event, and the "career" of being a musical "artist" is a relatively recent phenomenom, and is still a somewhat dodgey one at that, if you ask me, anyway.

Don't get me wrong: I would luv to be a rock star and all that, but I can cook and do carpentry and other stuff to stay afloat financially, so I'm not gonna be a slave to some celebrity-driven ideal that will kill my artistic inspiration for a quick buck, ya know what I mean?

Keeping it real is first in my mind and in my heart. If there's some $$$ in it, cool! And there has been, and I can see that there will be more, but that only comes from keeping it real, and being patient, and keeping the long term in view.

My two brothers work for rock stars, and they tell me about how being a rock star can be a grind, and I've met these rock stars and hung out with them, and listened to them bitch and moan. The grass is always greener, ya know?

If you can thrive in obscurity, and enjoy life, you've got it made. Find a niche - the one thing that you are both good at and enjoy, and specialize in that. Specialize: that way peeps will think of you first when that's what they need.

Your mileage may vary...