1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

What do you think of this drum mic setup?

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Mauisnow13, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

So, I'm upgrading some gear soon and am in need of new drum mics. I think I'm going to run a mainly Audix setup. I don't have a TON of cash, but am willing to pay a little extra for a good sounding mic that will last me a while.

I was thinking of running the Audix D6 in the kick, D4 on the floor tom, and D2's on the rack toms. I can't decide whether I want to use an SM57 or a Beta57 on the snare. I hear the Beta has a bit more high end and attack. I may end up using both, depending on the situation. I am soon purchasing an AKG C414 to use as an overhead. I'll eventually pick up another to get a better stereo overhead sound.

Any opinions or recommendations would be highly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Audix mics are groovy.

Experiment with both the sm and beta, one might work well on one source and vice versa on another.

414's aren't a bad choice either, damn shockmount costs a pretty penny though.

3. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

The shockmounts come with the C414's I believe. All in a shiny little case. :D

I figured with the C414, it'll be worth the money. I can use it as an overhead, a vocal mic, or on instruments.

I've heard the D6 on kick and like the sound of it. With a little tweaking, you can get quite a few sounds out of it. I haven't experimented with the D4's and D2's however.

4. bent

Correct, but when they break...
    :D

5. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

I'll be VERY careful....:)

6. bent

Never grab the mount anywhere other than at the threaded end, or SNAP!

(I'm pointing my finger at someone who is not here...)

7. bent

...pointing at a certain someone who uses dang-on PLIERS to tighten clips on mic stands - please ignore me, i have a tendancy to ramble...

8. soapfloats

soapfloats Well-Known Member

I'd say you're in a good spot.
    Here's what I can add:

I own a multitude of SM57s, a 52 for kick, and a CAD drum mic kit I don't use. I do use the 57s on snare and rack toms, and the 52 for kick (I'd like to have a D6 or AKG to compare it with, though). Never really doing live sound, I prefer the regular SM series to the Beta. IMHO. I don't like that added presence and attack. I prefer body to dressings, ya know?
    A lot of people here like the Audix i5 on snare too.
    Can't have enough 57s though.

I LOVE my 414s as overheads. They can be found used for around $600-$700 a piece if you look high and low (shockmounts included - haven't had an issue in 1yr+ yet). Plus, they perform admirably on almost any other source, as you noted.

The only other thing I would add would be to look into Sennheiser 421s. Great on toms (esp floor tom), and gui cabs and male vox as well. I own two, and wish I had four.

If you follow your own, bent's and my suggestions, worst case scenario you've got a bunch of drum mics that work well on other sources.

Anyone want to buy a CAD drum mic kit? Anyone? I'll trade it for a D6 or an AKG D112...?

9. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

The cradle is that sensitive eh? I'll keep that in mind. Back on subject though, any suggestions?

10. bent

Hey, I resemble that... And prefer SM's myself.

11. bent

Suggestion: D2 in the kick.

Ooh, yeah, Dig It!

12. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

Thanks for the input. I am also thinking of going with 57's on the rack toms. Anyone have input on the D2's compared to the SM57's? Like I said, I haven't used the D2's yet, but I've read good reviews. I have however played with SM's on racks.

13. soapfloats

I should note that 421s run $300+ new...

And can't help w/ the D2s. Only other mic than 421/57 I've used on toms was an AT2020 on Davedog's(?) suggestion. Nice change of pace, but more bleed being a condenser...

14. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

And the SM57's are cheaper then the Beta57's, which is a plus.

15. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

That's one thing that's keeping me away from them. I'm getting the new 414. Dumping a lot into that doesn't leave quite as much room for $300 tom mics.

I'm interested on opinions with the 57 vs. D2's subject

16. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

Oops. Double post, my bad.

17. bent

(Dead Link Removed)

18. Mauisnow13

Mauisnow13 Active Member

Nice. Time for one on toms.... *hint hint* :D

19. bent

Been thinking about it.

Still haven't gotten around to guitars... Maybe someday...

20. soapfloats

Don't worry Ben - I'm venturing into the mic shootout arena as a way to make sure I have the best mic on each source when I do a new project.
    I've just done it on vocals 6 times (4 for the same group), but plan to do some on toms and guitar cabs as well. Hopefully I can pick up some of the slack. I just need to improve my method a little.

Any tom mic suggestions? I've got the aforementioned 57/421/2020/414, but no Audix. A guitar shootout would include 57/421/414/Bluebird/2020/FatheadII... the other options I have would be less universal - Blue Ball, etc..

Shoutouts aren't the be-all end-all, as so many variables are involved (as both of our tests show), but I do think they can give someone an idea of how each mic generally performs on a source.