1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

what ehancer/exciter should i buy

Discussion in 'Recording' started by obbie, Dec 13, 2005.

1. obbie

obbie Guest

:roll: i but a behringer composer pro and a behringer ultra gain. im looking for an enhancer/exciter to help my vocals. im using a rode Nt 1a.ANY HELP

2. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

How 'bout a Studio Projects C1? It definetly has that "excited" sound without ruining things too much. It may be your mic that is dull sounding. Or all the Behr*nger stuff you are running through. I personally wouldn't stack another cheap box on top of your current chain.

3. obbie

obbie Guest

I was also thinking about the really nice leveling amp.

4. I'm pretty sure the BBE Sonic Maximizer is the standard for exciting, at least for low-mid level users. I like it.

5. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

I can't remember, what's the "other one"? I used the first "public model" of it in the late 80's(Ick, I'm old)... Anyway, I'd still have one if I needed such a thing - and could remember it's name.....?

At the time and right up until now EVERYBODY tells you how horrible it is to use such things, but alot of us use them - I used it on radio spots...

There is/was a "free" software version of a similar thing..? Worked OK. I can't remember what that was called either...

I know. No help. I'm leaving now...

Sorry,

TG

6. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

You're on the right track there. FMR makes really good gear at pretty amazing prices. I've heard a bunch of positive things about this box. Do a search and see what people say about it.

7. johnwy

johnwy Well-Known Member

Aphex aural exciter, perhaps? Which came in a variety of flavours: A, B or C type I believe.

8. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

Exactly, the Aphex. Thankyou.

Anyway, even way back we all knew the thing just added "distortion" to our carefully crafted work, but hey, it did, indeed, sound "louder", so we used it. Now we're all going back to tube gear to add even more distortion on purpose to sound "warmer". Hard to figure?

Louder and warmer, who could ask for less..?

Of course we all want to capture this mess at 32/192, so as not to miss any of the glory...

Fun business...

TG

9. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Look for old EXR Exciters. A little different than Aphex or BBE. I have an old EXR IV wih a built in noise gate that comes in handy every now and then.